Food Photography (1st try)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg171s

Jul 20, 2006
Auckland
Hi all, after a loooong time being a lurker, I've decided to try uploading my photos to CS :bsmilie:

This is my first try at food photography while helping my friend to take some photo for her cafe.

So, enjoy and please, shoot me comments or critics :bsmilie:

#1 Hamburger (with super extra mayo :bsmilie:)
2737814526_b8129004be.jpg

#2 Spaghetti
2737814148_6e2a3ea01f.jpg

#3 Fried Banana with Cheese and Strawberry
2737814080_aa0e6d1d5d.jpg

#4 Chrisantemum Tea with Honey
2736978499_096a3944c3.jpg

#5 Caramel Macchiato
2736979235_e6739bd2f6.jpg

Here are some extra shoots that I've also took

#6 Cinnamon
2736979343_0dd6680961.jpg

#7 Oil Lamp
2736978149_0c153e008f.jpg

That's all folks :bsmilie:

Somehow find the photos a bit flat.

Hey thanks for viewing and the comment

You mean flat as in not enough color saturation? And is it for a particular photo or all of them?

hmm i think he means flat lighting?
Flat lighting-Low contrast lighting or lighting which provides little or no shadowing.

yeah perhaps you can try playing around with the contrast and levels of the pictures. It should be able to bring out the food more.

BTW the hamburger looks super sinful :bsmilie:

#5 on a black background or a pattern background would look stunning =) makes me hungry

hmm i think he means flat lighting?
Flat lighting-Low contrast lighting or lighting which provides little or no shadowing.

I see, hmmm... well the photos were all taken at my friends cafe using only available light and fill in with a reading light :bsmilie:
Have to be better the next time ;)

Any more inputs? Is the composition good enough?

About the hamburger.. yea man, it's sinful.. hahahaha

After the shoot we eat all those foods, but nobody wants to try to finish the hamburger..
hahahaha :bsmilie:

i think you need to know that most food photography is fake.
the photographer many times modified the food.
do not hesitate to add coloring to your pasta sauce to make it look nicer.

Yup, I read it in books about food photography. But for this one me and my brother decided not to try it and go along with what the cafe owner provided for the photo shoot.

I'm still learning the techniques in food photography. Any good website for reference or reading materials? Especially where they describe what techniques can be used in certain situation, etc. :bsmilie:

Hi Andre,

Just Google 'Food Photography' or 'How to photograph food' and tons of sites will come up. ;)

Take your time to read through, because there are a lot of very important and useful hints and tips hidden in there.

And no, not all food styling is 'fake'. The trend nowdays is towards using as much natural as possible because of wide reaching laws where 'truth in advertising' is concerned (in the US). In SG, it varies. You get everything from very very fake to almost all natural.

IF you really want critique and comments, BRUTALLY HONEST ones, let me know.

Basically, if it were me, I would tear down everything and re-do everything from scratch. Almost all the ingredients are not suitable for shooting. Also, I would stick to tried and proven methods of lighting.

Last edited:
I agree the hamburger is sinful! Looks yummy. Hiakz.

But anyway me too thinks it looks a bit flat. Maybe more contrast will make the food looks better. And of 'cos play with more lightings. I think the effect will be better with some shadows to bring out the food. :)

Since it's your first try, I'm sure you will do better! Let's learn together! ;)

Man i think they are really good It becomes really subjective, U have got a good lens and ur creating a nice DOF, which is what alot of food photographers like, also it comes down to the food styling and prep which is done real well very professional, great job especially for ur first try. compositiion is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.