focussing screens for 5d & 5dmk2 inter-exchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they are. 5D2 use EG-A as the default screen, optional ones are EG-S (handles lens faster than f2/8) and EG-D (with grid)

Yes they are. 5D2 use EG-A as the default screen, optional ones are EG-S (handles lens faster than f2/8) and EG-D (with grid)

Hi Tan,

Can you advice what you mean by 'handles lens faster than f2/8'?

typo there: it should be f/2.8

EG-S is Super Precision (easier manual focusing on lenses with an f/2.8 or faster maximum aperture)
the EG-S Super Precision focusing screen is designed to facilitate manual focusing with high-speed lenses (f/2.8 or faster). The EG-S screen has finer microlenses than the EG-A or EG-D options, along with a steeper parabola of focus to make the image pop in and out of focus more vividly in the viewfinder; however, the EG-S focusing screen is not recommended for slower lenses because it's not very bright

Last edited:
I think they are not inter-changeable simply because they have different product designations. The 5D uses Ee-A/S/D screens, but the 5D2 is Eg-A/S/D.

But then again, logically speaking they might be, unless the 5D2 has a bigger mirror or viewfinder? Could be Canon just trying to make more money off us poor fools again

Clarification:

Focusing screens of 5D and 5DMKII are interchangeable (they can be taken out and replace by users)
Focusing screens Between 5D and 5DMKII are Not interchangeable

According to DP Preview's review on 5D Mark II, you can use 5D focusing screens on 5D Mark II, it will not harm anything (it's just a piece of plastic anyway) but there's a change the metering may not be as accurate as it should be.

HI Tan,

Thanks for the explanation. I thought EG-S is better than the EG-A I have (i.e. brighter).

Anyway as long as the taps at the edge of the screen match, you can put any screen into the 5D2. I believe I successfully inserted Ee-A lens into my 5D2 but not as bright though. The Eg-A is brighter.

I believe I successfully inserted Ee-A lens into my 5D2 but not as bright though. The Eg-A is brighter.
Really? I've never tried this though I know 5D Mark II VF is brighter than the yellowish dim one on 5D. I've always though it's not related to the focusing screen but perhaps pentaprism.

Thanks for the explanation. I thought EG-S is better than the EG-A I have (i.e. brighter).
I never had any Ee-S or Eg-s but one thing I've observed is (may be a common sense lol) that when I pop in a fast lens like the 50 1.2 or 1.4, the VF will appear brighter without changing the focusing screen. So my theory explains the super precision matt screen is actually dimmer than standard screen and hence, to get the 'normal' brightness, you'll need a fast lens at 2.8 and faster. Am I confusing...

Last edited:
Rendition,

I am confused. ;) But my previous statement was based on experience. I have no clue about the microlens structure until Tan mentioned it.

I never had any Ee-S or Eg-s but one thing I've observed is (may be a common sense lol) that when I pop in a fast lens like the 50 1.2 or 1.4, the VF will appear brighter without changing the focusing screen. So my theory explains the super precision matt screen is actually dimmer than standard screen and hence, to get the 'normal' brightness, you'll need a fast lens at 2.8 and faster. Am I confusing...

the brighter VF is because your lens has a bigger aperture, allowing more light in.

the VF you see, has light coming in from the lens itself, so when you have a brighter lens, you get a brighter VF lor. =)

Yeah, I kinda figured that... but is my theory on the SuperPrecision FS correct?

I would say so. Because the focusing screen is darker, you will need a brighter lens to ensure a bright enough viewfinder. With darker lenses, your viewfinder will be dramatically darker. This is opposed to the standard focusing screen which is optimised for VF brightness. You will notice that with this focusing screen, you will hardly notice and difference in brightness from large apertures down to about f/2 or f/2.8. Try this by stopping your 50/1.2 down.

I would say so. Because the focusing screen is darker, you will need a brighter lens to ensure a bright enough viewfinder. With darker lenses, your viewfinder will be dramatically darker. This is opposed to the standard focusing screen which is optimised for VF brightness. You will notice that with this focusing screen, you will hardly notice and difference in brightness from large apertures down to about f/2 or f/2.8. Try this by stopping your 50/1.2 down.

dont think what you said is correct. if the focusing screen is dark, no matter what kind of lens you use, it will be darker then the original one.

and also, stopping down on the camera does not affect brightness when you look into the VF, unless you press the DOF Preview button all the time.

dont think what you said is correct. if the focusing screen is dark, no matter what kind of lens you use, it will be darker then the original one.

and also, stopping down on the camera does not affect brightness when you look into the VF, unless you press the DOF Preview button all the time.

What I meant was that the precision focusing screen is more susceptible to light loss with smaller aperture lenses, and as such, would require a large aperture lens to have sufficient brightness.

Of course when I meant stopping down, I would also mean to hold the DoF preview button. Sorry to have missed that out.

Your viewfinder can't go brighter than 2.8, ie ur 1.2 would look as bright as 2.8.
I use something similar to Eg-s, with the addition of split prism in the middle. When I use my sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 it's almost unusable (the center is bright but the sides almost black). Messed up with metering.

Don't forget to change ur fn setting if u use different screen. Because the metering will be slightly different

Your viewfinder can't go brighter than 2.8, ie ur 1.2 would look as bright as 2.8.

Nop... it's brighter. A simple test would be to stop down your 1.2 lens to 2.8 and press the DOF Preview button. Not very noticeable but a difference nonetheless.

Nop... it's brighter. A simple test would be to stop down your 1.2 lens to 2.8 and press the DOF Preview button. Not very noticeable but a difference nonetheless.

On stock focussing screen I couldn't tell the difference, but on my matte + split screen I sensed just a tiny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.