Focusingscreen.com Canon EE-S Focusing screen

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Hi all, anyone tried out the Canon EE-S focusing screen on the K5 yet? I recall that many people got the K3 with split prism. I find the stock screen very hard to focus manually, and was wondering if the EE-S screen would really help. I mostly want it to do slight adjustments after AF since the AF points on the K5 is so damn huge. I don't really like split prisms as I prefer a clear screen for composition.

The difference is heaven and earth...
Just buy it... The plain matte one with the grid is recommended IMO. NOT the AF marking but the 1/3 rule grid..

Hi all, anyone tried out the Canon EE-S focusing screen on the K5 yet? I recall that many people got the K3 with split prism. I find the stock screen very hard to focus manually, and was wondering if the EE-S screen would really help. I mostly want it to do slight adjustments after AF since the AF points on the K5 is so damn huge. I don't really like split prisms as I prefer a clear screen for composition.

why don't you get one and tell us then ;)

many ppl here got the K3 probably because the S haven't come out yet that time
Best screen ever for manual focus : Canon ee-S!!! - PentaxForums.com
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/pentax-ricoh/916052-my-overall-impression-k5-pentax.html#post7254994
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/nikon/843473-we-love-our-manual-focus-nikkor-lenses-19.html#post7597709

the K-30 is using K20D screen or K5/K7 screen or Kr/Kx screen???

thinking of get a screen for K30, not sure, which one is compatible.

another question, these focusing screen k3 or canon S type, are direct plug n play? Any modification is needed?

Thanks.

another question, these focusing screen k3 or canon S type, are direct plug n play? Any modification is needed?

Thanks.

if you buy the screen following your camera model, it is a direct fit,

for example, Kx/kr screen shape and size is different from K5/K7

The difference is heaven and earth...
Just buy it... The plain matte one with the grid is recommended IMO. NOT the AF marking but the 1/3 rule grid..

SyncGuy, any reason not to get the one with AF marking?

the K-30 is using K20D screen or K5/K7 screen or Kr/Kx screen???

thinking of get a screen for K30, not sure, which one is compatible.

you upgraded your k-x to k30 already?

From my experience (and some other guys' experiences here), a split focusing screen for dSLR isn't really ideal. Most time it's not as simple as you think. You need to do some calibration (by adding or removing some padding between the screen and the prism) to make the screen align w/ the focusing plan perfectly. And even after you've done this successfully, it still can't guarantee the focusing is 100% spot on.

I've tried split screen on a few of my dSLR cameras, eventually I gave up and just use the stock ones.

Hmm. I guess shimming is quite a bitch, but its a one off, unless there are cases where shimming just don't work out...

Why not? I have one installed in my K5 and I used it in the last outing for Macro. Really wonderful to have . . . Shims are supplied but I did not have to change any.

Last edited:
Why not? I have one installed in my K5 and I used it in the last outing for Macro. Really wonderful to have . . . Shims are supplied but I did not have to change any.

Hi felix, you are using k3 or S type? :p

Hmm. I guess shimming is quite a bitch, but its a one off, unless there are cases where shimming just don't work out...

I echo FW's experience. (K3 screen)
Be prepared for shimming just in case you need to do it.
If you are the non-hands on type, or very particular about handling/dust on the focusing screen, be warned.
I've read someone use strips of tape for the shims.

Mine is shimmed to be close, but its not perfect.

you upgraded your k-x to k30 already?

not yet, planning to get a K30, since no ff yet.

I use K3 screen in my kx, I didnt find any issue, have been using it with manual lens with focal length from 8mm to 1000mm, and extreme macro up to 12:1

Last edited:
I echo FW's experience. (K3 screen)
Be prepared for shimming just in case you need to do it.
If you are the non-hands on type, or very particular about handling/dust on the focusing screen, be warned.
I've read someone use strips of tape for the shims.

Mine is shimmed to be close, but its not perfect.

Yup. I also agree on the Shimming problem. I have the K3 screen on my K7, it need a shim to be perfect. However, I try it on my K5, using the stock shim, changing of shim, it won't even work to perfection.
however, it works perfectly on my friend's K5 without any changes to the original shim. Sigh...

I guess it depends on your luck.

I'm using EE-S AF type on K5. Need to change shim but that it's a one-in-K5-lifetime thing, so not an issue to me. Image is darker than stock screen but area in focus does 'pop' out, makes MF much easier.

Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience with shimming. Another problem is having not opened up my K5 before, I am worried I might screw it up somehow. Plus the screen is very fragile no?

Well, no harm trying it. Maybe you'd love the results :)

To me myself, I'm way over MF stuff already. All my lenses are AF ones now :) Too lazy to do MF, the only time I use MF is when I'm taking macros. But split screen isn't very helpful for macros anyway.

use live view to focus? more accurate in my view