Focusing Qns

pisces25

Nov 8, 2002
When shooting portrait, I find myself frequently changing the focus point (toggle between all the spots) of the Slr to focus on the subject's eye, especially when there's the subject is posing freely.

If use autofocus, might not be the focus pt i want.

Find it quite a hassle, is there any faster way of doing things ?

:dunno:

Why don't you move your camera instead of chaning the focus point?

If using spot AF, I will get the focus first then recompose the shot. :)

When shooting portrait, I find myself frequently changing the focus point (toggle between all the spots) of the Slr to focus on the subject's eye, especially when there's the subject is posing freely.

If use autofocus, might not be the focus pt i want.

Find it quite a hassle, is there any faster way of doing things ?

hmm this is a preference for yourself. if you want to tilt your camera here and there then you have to toggle between all af points. otherwise stick to one or use compose then re compose method.

Its either want to change or not to change ;p

To me it's no issue. Just flick the joystick and the focus point changes. Takes 1-2 seconds and you don't even need to remove your eye from the viewfinder. I don't see any better way to do it.

Check the custom functions (hint: manual) how to put the focus point selection on the navigation keys. The 350D has it, don't see a reason why 550D should not have.

Changing focus points is a good practice, focus and recompose can cause focus sharpness issues. And also set the focus point to "wrap around" the screen (not sure if canon has this feature) but it helps me change focus points faster on my Nikon. :)