Focusing issue at infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamapi

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2008
Realised that my M42 lens has issue when focusing at inifity,subject which are more than 1metres away cannot be focused.
I'm using the M42 adaptor for sony/minolta and various cause of the problem i heard is that this common issue is attributed to the thickness of the M42 adaptor.
Have actually gotton some advises from other bros but i would like to understand more.

Do I
1)sandpaper it which i heard is being done by certain people..messy job though.
2)get a more expensive adaptor...they are more expensive for a reason right?

From your friendly dotaboy
:lovegrin:

You don't need an expensive adapter, just check when you are buying to make sure. Normally how i check is I bring the shortest lens that I have and I try to focus on something at infinity / close to infinity to see wether it can be done..... It is important that you use a short lens since the impact of extra thickness is pronounce with shorter lenses but you might not notice it if you're using a 200mm say.... If you've used extension tubes before you'll understand what i mean, a bit hard to put it in to words...

My advice is not to bother with sanding it since a new one is so cheap ($45 i think) and it will introduce a whole different set of problems... ie one side of adapter might be thicker than the other, if that happens your lens will behave like a tilt shift lens (impact is minor but noticeable).... just make sure you check before u buy..

the best adaptor is one without the plate, can have a 3rd party lens with a direct mount or one that modify its rear structure to fit with your mount, unless can do own machining, you can try to make a M42 to your mount without that piece of metal ring. probably when i got time to do measurement then i'll see if can do or not, else no point also... not worth it...

Lense is 50mm F1.4.
Apart from an adaptor which i have atm moment,there was one shop that i asked and he qouted me $90.
Too much to pay?

buy one from ebay..

the best adaptor is one without the plate, can have a 3rd party lens with a direct mount or one that modify its rear structure to fit with your mount, unless can do own machining, you can try to make a M42 to your mount without that piece of metal ring. probably when i got time to do measurement then i'll see if can do or not, else no point also... not worth it...

care to elaborate what you meant by plate?

Go to orient photo... i know they have a lot of m42 to canon.... not sure if they have an m42 to alpha mount..... pricewise is half of what that other shop quoted you.... let me guess P&_?

Go to orient photo... i know they have a lot of m42 to canon.... not sure if they have an m42 to alpha mount..... pricewise is half of what that other shop quoted you.... let me guess P&_?

Pmed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.