Focus when Video recording. E-M5 Mark 2

apex

Nov 7, 2002
Visit site
Dear all,

I own a E-M5 Mark 2 and I remember last time when i press the RED dot to capture a movie. I can half press the shutter to asked the camera to focus or refocus during moving recording.

Now I can't do it anymore. I had reset the camera and still the same. Anything else I miss?

Set to CAF

Yah I know CAF will cont AF.

but my old E-PL5 what i set to S-AF i can still half press to focus on movie. But this is not available on E-M5 Mark 2 or something is wrong with my E-M5?

I don't know, for me, when I use my E-M1, whenever I tap the shutter button when using CAF, it'll auto focus again

Yah I know CAF will cont AF.

but my old E-PL5 what i set to S-AF i can still half press to focus on movie. But this is not available on E-M5 Mark 2 or something is wrong with my E-M5?

I don't own a EM5ii, so I googled and found this suggested solution:

However, a more straightforward answer (undocumented, of course!) concerns a setting in the menu which is only on the affected cameras and is why even the firmware-updated E-M1 isn't affected by the issue. In the Movie gear menu, second page, is a setting called Movie+Photo Mode. This is primarily to tune how the camera produces a still shot attempted during movie recording, but it's default [mode1] setting causes this problematic loss of S-AF. Put it onto [mode2] to reinstate S-AF. The next entry, Movie Shutter Function, should be left on Mode1 or things get weird again, and the camera refuses to S-AF via the shutter button, once again. This is unfortunate, because that's the setting that allows movie recording to start and stop with the shutter button instead of the red movie button. It seems that Olympus expect us to either want to use C-AF or manual focus in movie mode, for the most part.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3939987

Hey Apex,

When if video in S-AF, during recording, if you want to force refocus, by default, the refocus button is mapped to the DOF preview button (the one on the front of your camera just where your ring finger on your right hand would sit).

Regards,

Valk

Hey Apex,

When if video in S-AF, during recording, if you want to force refocus, by default, the refocus button is mapped to the DOF preview button (the one on the front of your camera just where your ring finger on your right hand would sit).

Regards,

Valk

Thanks everyone for the help. I believe the refocus during S-AF in video is default map to another button and not half press shutter :)

In the E-M5 Mk II manual, on page 108 under Shutter Function, what you set here determines how the shutter button or the red record button works. Turn to page 110 and it shows how the autofocus and metering works. You can try this out and see if it replicates what you experienced before. Resetting the camera simply changes everything back to default, which is pressing the red button to start recording.

On the older E-M5 Mk I model, if the record function is not assigned to any button (meaning a different function is assigned to the red record button) the shutter button is used to start and stop recording.