Focus Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyZilla92

Aug 7, 2009
Singapore
Hi Guys,
your friend here would like to know
does minor scratches on Focus Screen affects Image Quality?!
The body is Canon EOS 50D

Thanks before hand;)

No, no effect on image quality. The only 'effect' is cosmetic. Your viewfinder will look nasty, that's all you have to worry about.

Buy a new one an replace it. No sure about store but ebay.com.sg sells them too.

Yes focusing screen can be replaced. You just need to buy the type of surface required.

The only things that self replacement is not possible is the mirror and the prism after the focusing screen. So when replacing, be careful and never to use sharp objects to pry them to avoid scratching the mirror and prism.

It get scary with first attempt replacing the screen, make sure minimal surface contact, gentle removal of the screen and ensure dust removal before putting it back.

we can replace it?!!doesnt it affect the performance then?!:think:

Last edited:
Hi ts,
for your quesiton, no it doenst affect the image/ focusing. but it can be quite irritating to see the scratch everytime you take a picture. Anyway, I scratched mine before. Can refer the my previous thread for replacement info.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543772&highlight=focusing+screen

Personally, i wont recommend changing it yourself. Might risk spoiling something more expensive!

we can replace it?!!doesnt it affect the performance then?!:think:

Only if you MF.

Think of the whole flow here... Where is the focusing screen involved when the mirror is lifted up to take a picture?

Only if the scratches are bad enough to affect exposure readings (diffraction) as well as AF performance. IIRC, almost all AF systems that use light passing through the focusing screen and I've not heard of metering cells being located in the mirror chamber in modern DSLRs.

Other than that, no, slight scratches would not affect Image Quality (IQ).

Changing a screen sounds scary at first, but once you get used to it, it can be done in a few seconds on the train or with a little more difficulty, while walking down the street. :)

Last edited:
You can easily get it replaced at the Canon Service Centre.
I remember paying $25 for replacing one on the 30D and $30 on the 1000D.

It won't affect your image quality but it just gets on if i see a scratched focusing screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.