Focal Length for Portrait ?

Ahtim78

Nov 3, 2010
Hi guys,

Other then a big aperture, may i know which Focal length of lens is BEST for portraits shot using APS-C body ?

Thanks advance for advice ;)

the ideal focal length for portrait is mid tele, but portrait can be head shot only to full body length, some time will includes environment also.
So you can use various type of focal length lens, to do portrait shots, depends on how the way you compose/pose your subject.

i m looking for a full body portrait with a decent bokeh so which focal length will be best ?

i m looking for a full body portrait with a decent bokeh so which focal length will be best ?

Depends on how far you can stand. For full body portrait usually people use 35mm or 50mm on DX (more of 35mm actually)

By the way, bokeh is the quality of out of focus areas - not the quantity of background blur. That depends on the construction of the lens itself, not the focal length.

Hi guys,

Other then a big aperture, may i know which Focal length of lens is BEST for portraits shot using APS-C body ?

Thanks advance for advice ;)

For outdoor (ie enough working space) full body shots, I like 85mm, but then again I do not have access to a fast telephoto lens as suggested by mod catchlights...

full body length with blur background? try 200 mm and above.

fashion photographers use 300mmf2.8 for full body length.