FM2 vs FM3A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amekaze

Nov 24, 2004
-
I started out digital, so I'm still very new to the realm of film.
But I intend to get a manual film SLR to use. I'm not considering auto-film bodies because I feel they are very much the same compared to the digital bodies I'm using now and offer little differences.

I'm thinking FM2 or FM3A but I'm undecided partly because I'm new and I do not really understand the differences between the two. Also, the price of both cameras second-hand is also another factor.

Hope to get members to share some info on these two bodies here.

Many thanks!

You can read up on the differences by doing a simple search on the net. There's a Malaysian site (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm) that is very informative.

I started off pretty much the same as you. Got a Nikon FE (one of the cheapest) which is good enough with manual controls.

Hi.

Interesting to see somebody heading back to film. I am still playing with film as I'm still waiting for a more affordable FX body before making the jump to DSLR.

The differences between the FM2 and FM3A are basically that the FM2 is a fully mechanical camera with no auto options whilst the FM3A has an aperture priority Auto Exposure mode.

A good reference on the series will be http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/index.htm

Have fun!

I started out digital, so I'm still very new to the realm of film.
But I intend to get a manual film SLR to use. I'm not considering auto-film bodies because I feel they are very much the same compared to the digital bodies I'm using now and offer little differences.

I'm thinking FM2 or FM3A but I'm undecided partly because I'm new and I do not really understand the differences between the two. Also, the price of both cameras second-hand is also another factor.

Hope to get members to share some info on these two bodies here.

Many thanks!

FM2 is purely mechanical. The battery required is for metering only. FM3A is a hybrid. If you select the shutter speed manually, it is mechanical. If you use the aperture priority mode, then it uses electronic. So in a way, it's a hybrid of FM2 and FE2.

You can read up on the differences by doing a simple search on the net. There's a Malaysian site (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm) that is very informative.

I started off pretty much the same as you. Got a Nikon FE (one of the cheapest) which is good enough with manual controls.

Guess we both replied @ the same time HAHAHAHA!

Hmmm...
Just wondering if an SB-800 would work with FM2 and FM3A?
And I get the impression that these cameras are built to last. But do Nikon still accept servicing for such cameras?

I'm quite stuck between the two because of the price difference of half a grand which I could use to get a lens for the camera. :think:

Hmmm...
Just wondering if an SB-800 would work with FM2 and FM3A?
And I get the impression that these cameras are built to last. But do Nikon still accept servicing for such cameras?

I'm quite stuck between the two because of the price difference of half a grand which I could use to get a lens for the camera. :think:

Here is something.. But what I feel is that if I have spare cash, I'll buy the FM3A just to keep.

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM3A said:
Flash

Another FM3a innovation over earlier FM/FE models was in flash operation. The camera adds TTL flash, not found on its predecessor the FM2n, as well as more control to the TTL flash capabilities of the old FE2. Any Nikon TTL flash from a old SB-15 to the latest SB-800 can be used on the camera. In 'A' mode the FM3a automatically switches to 1/250 second shutter speed and measures the flash through the lens. In manual mode the FM3a is ready to measure the flash in TTL mode, but it also continues to meter normally, allowing the photographer to select any speed from 1 second to the top flash-sync speed of 1/250 second. Held down as the subject is metered and photographed, a Flash Compensation button to the left of the lens mount will automatically apply a compensation of -1 EV to any mounted Nikon-compatible TTL flash as it fires. Both Nikon and third-party flash units can be mounted in the FM3a's hot shoe and used in manual or non-TTL auto modes. When mounted, a compatible flash will activate a ready light in the viewfinder. An LED light also glows steadily when the flash is ready, and blinks once after the flash is fired and correct exposure is achieved. The FM3a signals underexposure by blinks of the LED in rapid succession. The FM3a does not have all flash capabilities of modern AF cameras, such as the ability to program flash compensation into the flash itself.

the fm3a is a very nice cam to use. yes sb800 works very nicely on it too. i only sold it recently cos i got hold of an f3.

How much is a FM3a 2nd hand now?
I got a F2 Photomic 1971 the day metering is very accurate but night even the lens front cover on the metering still give me f2 1/60 ASA100, is the camera metering spoil or old camera can't give accurate metering at night?:dunno:

Sorry for OT;p

If you have a DSLR on hand, I would recommand you gettign a FM2, to try out how a fully manual camera works. Maybe by the time your DSLR is outdated and no longer working, your FM2 still shoots perfect picture (maybe shutter at 1/4000 is out of speed and sync but who use that in manual anyway.)

Still have my FM2 and Nikkormat in the dry box with all the fully manual lens.

FM2 and FM3a are almost identical, unless u happen to use flash quite a bit. FM2 requires manual flash exposure, while FM3a works in TTL for flash. :)

FM3a is more flexible as it is a hybrid between the fully mechanical realm, and the electronic realm. But far as I know, the price of a FM3a is much more than a FM2.

I could try and explain the differences between the 2, but given the links to www.mir.com.my, I shall not embarrass myself in making that attempt. =) It's a good read, that website. Worth bookmarking for references for many manual cameras.

Yeah, strange thing about the website is, you can't link to the photography section by just typing mir.com.my. Got to either bookmark or remember the url.

Guess we both replied @ the same time HAHAHAHA!

Cool.
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess looking at my usage, I'd say I'm slanted to an FM2? Like the manual camera will most likely just be like a use once in a while thing, shooting film and playing around in the darkroom. Whereas I'll mainly use my digital bodies for work and stuff.

In that sense, I don't think I'll really need the TTL and aperture priority features. But of course, who doesn't want to have the later, better technology. It's nice to have. ;p

I guess one issue here would be, do I even need to bother about worrying how long the FM2 will last me? With regards to durability, parts, servicing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.