Flower-girl's quiet moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ob1canob

May 30, 2005
Would appreciate your PS suggestions to make this a better photo. Something is still amiss about the photo; can't pinpoint what it is. Already tried to bring out the flower-girl by putting background in B&W but not too much so that she won't look like a "cut-out". Her mother beside her somehow keeps getting in the way of the photo....anyone? :dunno:

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
The lady on the left is very distracting, suggest u can blur out the BW background using PS and keep girl in focus.

ob1canob

May 30, 2005
clicknick said:
The lady on the left is very distracting, suggest u can blur out the BW background using PS and keep girl in focus.
Thx. I tried that but somehow that seem to make a "cut-out" of the girl because the lady on the left (her mother) is sitting very close to her. Will try again as you suggest. :think:

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
ob1canob said:
Thx. I tried that but somehow that seem to make a "cut-out" of the girl because the lady on the left (her mother) is sitting very close to her. Will try again as you suggest. :think:
Hmm, ok, can try to crop away more of the mother, and put some vignetting, but i still prefer using guassian blur in this situation.

ob1canob

May 30, 2005
clicknick said:
Hmm, ok, can try to crop away more of the mother, and put some vignetting, but i still prefer using guassian blur in this situation.
Thx. Perhaps this will work. :)

As for the other suggestion I think the cut-off of the mother will not work since I've to replace the cut-off portion with good background but then this will result in a "cut-out" effect on the girl with a fake background. Thx for the suggestion anyway.

Good to learn from everyone.

uncleparty

Mar 15, 2005
Singapore
i tried dabbling with ur picture a little in ps. i think u may wanna try

1) midtone burn the background and corners
2) blurring the bg and marder
3) highlight dodge the girl's face a little

i wasnt too satisfied with the results cos the black and white bg already makes her seem "cutout", and blurring only played it down. perhaps u could try that with the original coloured version?

regarding what is amiss about the picture, personally i find its the composition, and the girl's expression doesnt portray a pensive quiet moment - she looks more earning to move. i would likely trash the shot.

hope it helps :)

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
  • Crop away most of the left side, or even some part of the flower girl, the photo will look better
  • The art borders too massy
But personally I don’t waste my time on this pictures cos the flower girl’s expression wasn’t interesting enough. Try to have few more shots, if it is not good enough, junk it

My comment is that your border look more intresting than your photo. Try to use a simpler photo as the asthetic element of the border is rather heavy. which is very unbalanced.

hazta

Jul 17, 2005
SG,Northern
Hmm... Vanishing Point shud do e job... Provide me ur email address n I can mail u e edited version of ur pic (hope u dun mind). If u like it u can use it. Juz tryin to lend a hand....

My email: liafan@singnet.com.sg

Regards...

FilliniF

Mar 31, 2005
If you need to maintain the aspect ratio, then crop left and right to make it into a portrait if your image have enough resolution.

While the flower girl is not have a quiet moment, her expression certainly caught my attention. Neat...

ob1canob

May 30, 2005
uncleparty said:
i tried dabbling with ur picture a little in ps. i think u may wanna try

1) midtone burn the background and corners
2) blurring the bg and marder
3) highlight dodge the girl's face a little

i wasnt too satisfied with the results cos the black and white bg already makes her seem "cutout", and blurring only played it down. perhaps u could try that with the original coloured version?

regarding what is amiss about the picture, personally i find its the composition, and the girl's expression doesnt portray a pensive quiet moment - she looks more earning to move. i would likely trash the shot.

hope it helps :)
I think you got it on the spot about the composition. Thx. I'll likely trash the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom