Flirtious Glance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennquek

Oct 11, 2007
Yishun
002.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Areas like lighting, contrast and cropping.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Would hope to let viewers feel that so called "flirtious" glance from it.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Was just looking around at the exhibit till I noticed this beauty at a corner of the pond by itself, thus decided to take a few shots given the particular lighting around the area it was standing.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

Personally, as a newbie, I felt that this picture gave me a type "mysterious" feeling from that glance. I also have some doubts about my cropping as it does not apply the 1/3 rule, which I am still unsure about. ;p

i'm not sure abt the flirtatious glance, but it's a good picture. just some gripes...

the slightly over exposed rock on the bottom left of the picture.

the just slightly over exposed feathers of the bird.

you have done well in spotting the potential for the lighting here, with good isolation of the bird. the exposure here is tricky, you could have bracketed here if you liked to retain the details in the highlights. a less exposed photo would do two things:

1) retain details in highlights, as mentioned
2) darken the background further

both of which are to your advantage.

moving on to composition, every detail in the picture counts. the oof rock detracts from your main subject, especially since the exposure is significantly distracting and competes for attention. if this was not the maximum focal length you could have used, you need to go in closer. if it was, then accept what you have, adjust the exposure, and shoot to crop.

Thanks guys for the advice.

As per the given advice, I would like to enquire more about the term "bracket" as I am still need to photography and I'm only using a prosumer camera, thus I suppose the limitation? Thought of going further to DSLR, but my "skills" and knowledge stills hold me back from this decision. :cry:

Regards to the exposure and focus, I'll take more detail into it! :)

The current composition only works because of that tagline balancing the pic.
Without which it'll be better with a tighter crop cause the background is v heavy..:)

too much contrast.... hence the highlight and shadow details are too thin

may be better to crop off the top, too much space and blackness. the bright leaf patch at the top sticks out of the black and is distracting. the eyes are not obvious enough, i'm squinting hard to try to decipher the flirtatious look. I do get the theme, but it can be more obvious, maybe a slightly tighter crop would be better to enlarge the subject you want to show..

Status
Not open for further replies.