Flatbed scanner for 6x4.5 films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at Microtek i900, Epson 4870 & Canon 9900f. From what I've gathered so far, the quality is in the above order with Microtek being the best.

Anyone with the above scanner(s)? Any comments?

Thanks
Lily

coolcat said:
I'm looking at Microtek i900, Epson 4870 & Canon 9900f. From what I've gathered so far, the quality is in the above order with Microtek being the best.

Anyone with the above scanner(s)? Any comments?

Thanks
Lily

Hi Lily, in wat way is the quality of i900 being the best?

Hi Blurblock.

So far what I've got is whatever I read from online reviews. It seemed that Microtek's i900 has a glassless scanning feature & 4.2 optical density as compared to Epson's 3.8. But strangely, I walked around SLS today and found only 1 shop selling Epson 4870, a couple selling Canon 9900F but non carrying Microtek i900.

I already have an old Nikon CoolscanIII for 35mm films. I need to replace my flatbed anyway so I might as well get one that could scan larger film sizes :)

Lily

Hi Lily,

I know that they sell the Microtek in Hong Kong. Just go there to get it, there are many models by the way, several with scanning without glass (one takes even 6x17 film). I believe the Agfa pro scanner was made by them. The loading is below the glass plate.

Hong Sien

Try Call Microtek Service Centre in Singapore :

68466470, between the working hours of 9am~6pm monday to friday.

address: 31 kaki Bukit Road 3 #05-24 Techlink Singapore 417818

Then again you can try :

Laser Distributor Pte Ltd
1 #05-63/64 Rochor Canal Rd, SLS, #05-63/64, S(188504)
6338-1622 (Phone)
6339-7008 (Fax)

they carry some Microtek Scanner .....

Lily

it depends on your reproduction needs, its above A3 that difference become pretty obvious... 4870 is 800+ and not cheap as well.. you could consider 4180 as well.

You pay for what you want :D ..... can't expect quality with very cheap price .... right? :D

How about the Microtek i700? The resolution seems similar to the Epson 4870, but its a normal glass bed and unknown Dmax. ICE also works on both prints and film media. Price should be a lot cheaper than the i900 and the 4870.

Almost certain to buy the 4870 this coming SITEX, but with these new players...more options to consider.

Oh yeah, the i700 is the one with the 6x17 pano film scan capability. On the other hand, it has a combo 4x5 and 6x9 film scanning plate. Not very good when you need to do batch scans of MF film as you have to load it one at a time unlike the three holders for the 4870.

maay be you want to take a look at IMACO at Pro Photo.

I'm also interested in the Microtek i900 and the Epson 4870... Anybody have any updates on where to find these scanners?

Regards,
Nick

coolcat said:
Skylet is having a 'discount' on Epson 4870, about $790+. I've more or less decided to get it. Waiting to see if the price will drop a bit more. :p
Thanks for the info. Do keep me informed about the scanner... ;)

Cheers!
Nick

oh lily, as i had said that day, wait for sitex.
sure got promo and free gift.
got lucky draw also

hee hee
;p

sitex 2004
25-28 nov
singapore expo hall 5 & 6

Status
Not open for further replies.