flashes for CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlghtxx

Jan 19, 2008
i am a nikon d80 user very into CLS. however its nt possible to get ANYMOre extra sb600 or sb 800. too ex.
so i am looking at other cheaper alternative like sb27 or some vivitar ones. are they any others? what are the prices?

and do i need a adaptor for ythem?

anyone interested in selling can quote me. budget best if around 120.

i am a nikon d80 user very into CLS. however its nt possible to get ANYMOre extra sb600 or sb 800. too ex.
so i am looking at other cheaper alternative like sb27 or some vivitar ones. are they any others? what are the prices?

With those, you will need to manually set them.

You will not get TTL.

A SU-4 receiver can also be used (on the cheap) ;)

why not rent...unless its an everyday affair?

Buy pre owned? I would save up and wait longer to get the things I want.

for other made or older Nikon flash, no TTL, no CLS.
and multiple flash set up with other made flash or older Nikon flash, Auto mode will not always work, best is set to manual.

beside flash units, you need either sync cable with hotshoe adaptor, optical slave, or wireless trigger set, so $120 is not enough.

for other made or older Nikon flash, no TTL, no CLS.
and multiple flash set up with other made flash or older Nikon flash, Auto mode will not always work, best is set to manual.

beside flash units, you need either sync cable with hotshoe adaptor, optical slave, or wireless trigger set, so $120 is not enough.
After you add up the total cost. You can get a SB600 and play with a peaceful mind.

i see . thanks guys, thought vivitar and other flashes are dirt cheap. k i think i will get a sb 600.

my reason for not getting sb800is because i just need a slave, i can use inbuilt to trigger the 2 sb 600,so i dont think i neeed sb800. on budget anyway.
what do fellow TS who arre experience in CLS think?

i see . thanks guys, thought vivitar and other flashes are dirt cheap. k i think i will get a sb 600.

my reason for not getting sb800is because i just need a slave, i can use inbuilt to trigger the 2 sb 600,so i dont think i neeed sb800. on budget anyway.

Thats true, though a SB800 as main will give more control than the built in flash, in terms of changeable angle, easier to add diffusers, gels, and of course, power.

But your on a budget and probably have to make do, at least temporary, till saved enough for the SB900. So I will take the same route if I am you too.

there are such thing as flash triggered slaves like the sb-26 which i found quite popular . a wedding photographer who was using a canon was using an sb-26 and i was surprised by it . i didnt know sb-26 was cappable of wireless trigger by flash.

HOWEVER, do note you gotta manually set the flash to the ISO settings , etc manually.

i have 2 slave flashes.. Emoblitzs which are triggered when my flash fires. it takes a while before you get used to it.

but if you have the cash, please, by all means.. CLS is the way to go!

Nah, was just kidding ;)

The SB-600 is an excellent slave, since the extra power of the SB-800 isn't that necessary :think:

Owned 2 SB-600s a while back (till i upgraded one to a 800) quite easy to use :thumbsup:

if you want to work on manual flash mode, you can consider other made flash or old nikon flash unit, but $120 won't get you much things.

is it more reliable to get a radio trigger instead of using inbuilt flash to trigger off camera flash units, since you may cut down the power output of inbuilt flash, and also the placement of off camera flash may not in the line of sight.

if you want to work on manual flash mode, you can consider other made flash or old nikon flash unit, but $120 won't get you much things.

is it more reliable to get a radio trigger instead of using inbuilt flash to trigger off camera flash units, since you may cut down the power output of inbuilt flash, and also the placement of off camera flash may not in the line of sight.

how much does a radio trigger cost? on budget .
placement of off camera flash may not in the line of sight? can explain? dont really understand. thanks.

how much does a radio trigger cost? on budget .
placement of off camera flash may not in the line of sight? can explain? dont really understand. thanks.

Radio trigger prices varies from brands to brand, can be expensive or cheap. Look at tagotech.com for the budget units.

The off camera flash units need to be triggered by the camera built in flash (commander), so the slave units got to be positioned within an 180degrees angle in front of the camera (the line of sight). Even so, there a times when my on-camera flash failed to trigger my SB600, even when its within range and angle.

The off camera flash units need to be triggered by the camera built in flash (commander), so the slave units got to be positioned within an 180degrees angle in front of the camera (the line of sight). Even so, there a times when my on-camera flash failed to trigger my SB600, even when its within range and angle.

180 degree angle? You sure? Maybe you ought to read your manual again... :sweat:

as for failure to trigger, if the ambient light is too bright, the flash's sensor may not be able to detect commander flash
(hmm...sounds like some superhero...:think:)

Status
Not open for further replies.