Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
But for the same subject in the same shooting conditions, is there a difference, noticeable or not, whether you're using bounce card or diffuser? Let's put the scenario indoors in a chalet whereby ceiling is too high for bouncing, lighting is orange due to using incandescent bulbs...

I also agree a bounce card isn't the most convenient to carry around. Scared will fold it or something... haha!

karnage said:
But for the same subject in the same shooting conditions, is there a difference, noticeable or not, whether you're using bounce card or diffuser? Let's put the scenario indoors in a chalet whereby ceiling is too high for bouncing, lighting is orange due to using incandescent bulbs...

I also agree a bounce card isn't the most convenient to carry around. Scared will fold it or something... haha!

I think there should be a difference. Otherwise people won't be using it. ;) The obvious difference is that by using a bounce card, you'd be able to take subjects that are much further away.

I've taken shots in the senario that you've painted. What would happen if you use flash is that all the yellow lighting will be gone and in place your pics will be just white light. To counter that, some people will use a Gold bounce card (i think) to create a warmer bounce light.

Due to my laziness and my need for convenience, I'd scrap the bounce card and just use diffuser. But that's just me. :devil:

natnivek said:
The obvious difference is that by using a bounce card, you'd be able to take subjects that are much further away.
Really? I guess it WOULD be further but only by a wee bit... :think:

natnivek said:
Due to my laziness and my need for convenience, I'd scrap the bounce card and just use diffuser. But that's just me. :devil:
Haha! Incidentally, that's me too! But me being cheapskate, I'll try out a Milkmaid bottom first, as suggested by someone somewhere...

Thanks anyways Kevin... Cheers!

karnage said:
Really? I guess it WOULD be further but only by a wee bit... :think:

Haha! Incidentally, that's me too! But me being cheapskate, I'll try out a Milkmaid bottom first, as suggested by someone somewhere...

Thanks anyways Kevin... Cheers!

No prob... Snap on! ;)

Hi all,

I am using an Emoblitz as well. Still a newbie so still experimenting.

When I take indoor pics with the flash pointing up, the pics came out right (well-illuminated with background well lit also). But when I point the flash 90 degree (as in pointing forward), it turned out worse. Why is it so can any bro here enlighten?

Thanks.

leslie said:
Hi all,

When I take indoor pics with the flash pointing up, the pics came out right (well-illuminated with background well lit also). But when I point the flash 90 degree (as in pointing forward), it turned out worse. Why is it so can any bro here enlighten?

Thanks.

That's the difference between a direct flash (90 degrees) & bounce flash (Pointing up). Direct flash somehow works better if you really need the flash to cover a distance. For me, anything nearer than 5-8m, direct flash will be too harsh.

Stick to bounce flash or if you do not have a low ceiling, snap on your diffuser & point 45 degrees instead.

Hope this helps.

natnivek said:
That's the difference between a direct flash (90 degrees) & bounce flash (Pointing up). Direct flash somehow works better if you really need the flash to cover a distance. For me, anything nearer than 5-8m, direct flash will be too harsh.

Stick to bounce flash or if you do not have a low ceiling, snap on your diffuser & point 45 degrees instead.

Hope this helps.

Hi Natnivek,

Thanks.:)

natnivek said:
How come use diffuser already still need to point 45 degree leh? I thought it'll be diffused already? Or is it not diffused enough? :D

karnage said:
How come use diffuser already still need to point 45 degree leh? I thought it'll be diffused already? Or is it not diffused enough? :D

Haha... I'm no technical person when it comes to this. I learned it from others too. And yes, from experiance, pointing it direct will often overexpose your shots. 45 degrees will give it a more natural diffused lighting.

natnivek said:
Haha... I'm no technical person when it comes to this. I learned it from others too. And yes, from experiance, pointing it direct will often overexpose your shots. 45 degrees will give it a more natural diffused lighting.

I tried out my emoblitz at home. with a self-made bounce card. I experimented with 90, 60, 45 degree. The best result I found was at 60degree. pointing straight up was also quite close but 60degree gave the most even coverage. I guess it depends on the nature of the room itself such as ceiling height etc?

Anybody wants my new emoblitz flash bought on 25Aug ?Happen to found out that my father sold his FZ 5.:(

leslie said:
I tried out my emoblitz at home. with a self-made bounce card. I experimented with 90, 60, 45 degree. The best result I found was at 60degree. pointing straight up was also quite close but 60degree gave the most even coverage. I guess it depends on the nature of the room itself such as ceiling height etc?

It highly depends on the distance between the subject and yourself as well... For example, in a small room you might even be finding yourself pointing the flash 90 degrees upwards.

Everything that we learn here should have some flexibility in them. Learn all the rules and then break them one by one to find out what suits you. :)

Oh yah, something that I found on the web illustrating how the diffuser works.

Cheers!

natnivek said:
It highly depends on the distance between the subject and yourself as well... For example, in a small room you might even be finding yourself pointing the flash 90 degrees upwards.

Everything that we learn here should have some flexibility in them. Learn all the rules and then break them one by one to find out what suits you. :)

Oh yah, something that I found on the web illustrating how the diffuser works.

Cheers!

Thanks! :)

leslie said:
Hi all,

Thanks.
from my time with my emoblitz, I suggest you try play aroudn with your aperture and see see..
sometimes i find it better with aperture of 4.5 or so.. heh less light, everyone looks just nice.
don't limit yourself to the flash only.

unseen said:
from my time with my emoblitz, I suggest you try play aroudn with your aperture and see see..
sometimes i find it better with aperture of 4.5 or so.. heh less light, everyone looks just nice.
don't limit yourself to the flash only.

Hi unseen, thanks for the advice. Still a newbie and any advice/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

weilong05 said:
Anybody wants my new emoblitz flash bought on 25Aug ?Happen to found out that my father sold his FZ 5.:(

Hi, i've pm u. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.