Flash, what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipapa

Aug 29, 2004
Tampines
photobucket.com
Hi all,
nipapa here again. just wanna ask if flash like 420 EX, 550EX and Sigma EF-500 DG Super, what's the difference in them? How do i choose a flash that i want? Mostly i like to take photos that are like maybe from marco to normal focal length (ard 50mm) that kind.
How do i choose a flash that i want?

Cheers :hearts:

power..... 550EX, 500DG, 420EX thats how they rank in terms of power

I'm using a 420EX, I dont like it because I miss my old manual flash as I cannot manually overwrite the flash settings.

Fustrating on a 300D as I cannot flash compensate with it.

I dont really trust Sigma, heard stories but dont know true or not.

I say go with the 500DG super if u dont mind sigma. or fork out more for the 550EX. I'm okay with the 420EX for now tho.

nipapa said:
Hi all,
nipapa here again. just wanna ask if flash like 420 EX, 550EX and Sigma EF-500 DG Super, what's the difference in them? How do i choose a flash that i want? Mostly i like to take photos that are like maybe from marco to normal focal length (ard 50mm) that kind.
How do i choose a flash that i want?

Cheers :hearts:

420EX - Canon fully automatic ETTL Flash for Canon system
550EX - Canon automatic/manual ETTL Flash for Canon system
Sigma EF-500 DG Super = 3rd Party Flash support Canon system

Canon system = Canon SLR / DSLR / G Series / Pro Series only

Canon S, A and IXUS series do not support above flash

imo, buy 420ex first. based on the way u shoot as described, it serves the purpose well.
when ur shooting pace & pattern changes, then it is time to upgrade.
550ex will be the way forward.
anyway, 2H market is readily available for 420ex.

any test the 580ex? :D

for newbie ... try to spend as little as possible ... maybe can get a second hand EX380 it has full TTL ... and it only cost like $100-120... then later jump all the way to EX580 :cool:

scud said:
imo, buy 420ex first. based on the way u shoot as described, it serves the purpose well.
when ur shooting pace & pattern changes, then it is time to upgrade.
550ex will be the way forward.
anyway, 2H market is readily available for 420ex.

I second that. and hack your 300d for the FEC if warranty already over.

eh...what about flashes for nikon systems? Mine is F60..old model.

any good flashes for wedding photography? I have only done outdoor photography so far, so indoor photography is really new to me. I shoot only slides.

megaweb said:
420EX - Canon fully automatic ETTL Flash for Canon system
550EX - Canon automatic/manual ETTL Flash for Canon system
Sigma EF-500 DG Super = 3rd Party Flash support Canon system

Canon system = Canon SLR / DSLR / G Series / Pro Series only

Canon S, A and IXUS series do not support above flash

Hi actually i just want a flash as a slave. I don't mind a manual one or even a 2nd hand one. I just want to try controlling the flash. for like slow sync effect or flash from another direction. that kinda stuff. For some portrait shots and some lilke "on-my-desk-studio" shots.

So hmm... are the above flashes good for my purpose ? (sorry should have said that in the beginning)

Btw what is TTL?

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.