Flash Photography @ Weddings

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I'm helping a friend shoot for his wedding, but I have little experience with flash photography for such events. I've got a Canon 10D and Speedlite 420EX w/Omni-Bounce (the white covers that goes over the flash).

Whats the best setting to use for such events? Do you go with with Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual.... and how should I set it? Also, should I go for direct flash, or use the omni-bounce? (assuming there's a high ceiling)

Any advise will be appreciated.... dun wanna screw it up for my friend on his big day....

Thanks.

Aperture priority is usually preferred by most people. If high ceiling then use a bounce card or some sort of diffuser. The bigger the diffuser, the better the result.

superdave said:
Hi,

I'm helping a friend shoot for his wedding, but I have little experience with flash photography for such events. I've got a Canon 10D and Speedlite 420EX w/Omni-Bounce (the white covers that goes over the flash).

Whats the best setting to use for such events? Do you go with with Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual.... and how should I set it? Also, should I go for direct flash, or use the omni-bounce? (assuming there's a high ceiling)

Any advise will be appreciated.... dun wanna screw it up for my friend on his big day....

Thanks.

when is the wedding? it'll be good to practice a lot and read up on flash photography.
There wun be 1 magical setting that does that job. But I normally use either A or M modes.

Reading the theories are simple.. putting them into use is difficult.

Oh yeah... one more thing... Wats the preferred lens? wide? tele? or something in between?

if you have to choose, wides are usually more preferred, especially if the space is anticipated to be confined (e.g. HDB flats)

superdave said:
Oh yeah... one more thing... Wats the preferred lens? wide? tele? or something in between?

geez, do u need an extra cam? i'll do it for free....

i helped my cousin b4. i think its really fun... ;)

Indoor, I usually go with manual settings to have full control. Of course, you need to set the shutter speeds and aperture according to what you want to capture. The faster the shutter speeds and wider the aperture, the darker the background would be.

superdave said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Few questions:

1) Are you the main photographer? or the only photographer?
2) Will there be church wedding or just tea ceremony plus dinner? (I assume is Chinese wedding. if not malay and indian wedding?)
3) What lens will you be using?

Will give tips when you provide more info...

Status
Not open for further replies.