Flash for Newbie w/ K-x

ChaoticOrb

Mar 15, 2010
Quite a newbie here, so bear with me.

I've read the flash guide that's sticky'ed, so I guess I have some basic ideas about the compatible flashes for Pentax SLRs and P-TTL and whatnot.

I've also searched through the forums and read through several threads talking about flash and pentax.

I'm considering to get a flash to explore more photography options.

I hope I can get something that has tilt/swivel. So Pentax AF200/AF360 is out.

I was looking at the YongNuo YN460 MKII in Mass Sales, it only costs S$100, and has a tilt/swivel head, but it's fully manual, and it doesn't have a zoom function.

Just a question here: Fully manual just means that I've to adjust the flashpower myself right?

Getting a high-end flash(Pentax AF540, Metz 58) doesn't seem realistic to me when I'm a newbie.
I'm afraid that I won't be fully utilizing the more 'advanced functions' like HSS.

And the fact that higher-end models costs almost another K-x seems very scary to me.
Not that I would mind getting a higher-end model, but under-utilizing it seems like a huge waste of money.

Metz 48 sounds good to me, but I don't know how much it is.
Tilt/Swivel, Zoom, P-TTL seems like everything a newbie needs.
And the fact that the Metz 58 is about S$600, tells me that the Metz 48 is surely below S$600. :)

Cheap Manual flash or Mid-end flash for newbie?
All comments welcomed.
And please, have a nice day. :D

Yes, full manual means that you'll always have to adjust the flash power yourself. It's just like shooting in M mode, except you now have flash power to adjust, in addition to aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Learning to add flash power to the mix can be a little challenging at first especially if you're shooting in ambient light, and shooting manual is the best way to learn IMO.

I would think that getting something more mid range is a good idea. Even though you may not think that extra functions like HSS or rear curtain sync is important now, not having them would limit what you could do in some situations. And while not having swivel may cripple you a bit in terms of what bounce flash options you have, it should not be a deal-breaker in the exploratory stage (unless you're going to shoot portrait orientation with ceiling bounce a lot), so I won't be so fast to rule out the AF360.

My suggestions are the AF360 and Sigma 530 ST or Super, balance between price and features. I have no experience with Metz but I believe they'll have something that works for you too.

dont forget there're many other alternative cheaper brands (albeit poorer quality) offerings..
they are full auto, with tonnes of functions and much cheaper
but i think u'll have to order online

The Metz 48 at SLR Revolution is currently selling at $343, but it's currently out of stock :cry:

Yes, full manual means that you'll always have to adjust the flash power yourself. It's just like shooting in M mode, except you now have flash power to adjust, in addition to aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Learning to add flash power to the mix can be a little challenging at first especially if you're shooting in ambient light, and shooting manual is the best way to learn IMO.

Correct me if I am wrong but, I can always use Av Mode instead of M, and the manual flash would still shoot right?

I would think that getting something more mid range is a good idea. Even though you may not think that extra functions like HSS or rear curtain sync is important now, not having them would limit what you could do in some situations. And while not having swivel may cripple you a bit in terms of what bounce flash options you have, it should not be a deal-breaker in the exploratory stage (unless you're going to shoot portrait orientation with ceiling bounce a lot), so I won't be so fast to rule out the AF360.

My suggestions are the AF360 and Sigma 530 ST or Super, balance between price and features. I have no experience with Metz but I believe they'll have something that works for you too.

Thanks alot for your suggestions and helpful reply.
Maybe I will do some research on the Sigma 530.

dont forget there're many other alternative cheaper brands (albeit poorer quality) offerings..
they are full auto, with tonnes of functions and much cheaper
but i think u'll have to order online

Hmm, I didn't thought about that but I'm the kind of guy who prefer to pay a little more for local warranty and better build quality.

The Metz 48 at SLR Revolution is currently selling at $343, but it's currently out of stock :cry:

:cry:

Thanks for the price anyways! :)

Correct me if I am wrong but, I can always use Av Mode instead of M, and the manual flash would still shoot right?

You can set your camera to any mode you want, even auto. But your flash settings has to be separately set on the flash itself because the manual flash can't "talk" to your k-x to determine flash power automatically (i.e. p-ttl).

You can set your camera to any mode you want, even auto. But your flash settings has to be separately set on the flash itself because the manual flash can't "talk" to your k-x to determine flash power automatically (i.e. p-ttl).

Yep, thanks for the reply.
Answered my question totally. :)

Anyway, looked up on the Sigma 530.
ST Version looks good. Stated to be an entry level, so it should be relatively cheap?
Comes with tilt/swivel and zoom.

Super Version has more: wireless, wireless P-TTL, HSS, Rear Curtain Sync.

Some searching in CS also tells me that the Super version is about S$430.
Guessing ST is about S$3xx.

If the Sigma EF-530 ST is really S$3xx, then it will be on the same level as the AF360(based on price).
The difference between the 2 is:
Sigma has swivel.
AF360 comes with wireless, wireless P-TTL, HSS, RCS.

In that case, it's really sad that the AF360 doesn't have swivel.

I seem to find that the Metz48 has poorer results (ie. usually wrong and very under exposed) when used in PTTL; bounced with head swiveled (and even with a large bounce card); normal HDB rooms.
Non scientifically it does seem less dependable in this mode of usage compared to a AF360 I used to have.

Anyone has the same experience?

(looks like its back to M mode for me....... :( )

Yep, thanks for the reply.
Answered my question totally. :)

Anyway, looked up on the Sigma 530.
ST Version looks good. Stated to be an entry level, so it should be relatively cheap?
Comes with tilt/swivel and zoom.

Super Version has more: wireless, wireless P-TTL, HSS, Rear Curtain Sync.

Some searching in CS also tells me that the Super version is about S$430.
Guessing ST is about S$3xx.

If the Sigma EF-530 ST is really S$3xx, then it will be on the same level as the AF360(based on price).
The difference between the 2 is:
Sigma has swivel.
AF360 comes with wireless, wireless P-TTL, HSS, RCS.

In that case, it's really sad that the AF360 doesn't have swivel.

One thing though is that sooner or later (i bet it's sooner :) ) you're gonna want to take that flash off camera. in this case, Sigma ST will only have 1/1 & 1/16 power options in manual. And you will have to deal with the 80sec(i think) power off.

if you are looking at S$3xx range, AF360 and Metz 48 would be a good choice. I have used both and I find that Metz 48 is so much better. I feel that Having titlt/swivel is a must have when doing flash photography.

FWIW, I have sold both and got Metz 58. My suggestion is to save a little more and buy the best flash available (photography is a lot about lighting anyways).

Good luck with your choice.

One thing though is that sooner or later (i bet it's sooner :) ) you're gonna want to take that flash off camera. in this case, Sigma ST will only have 1/1 & 1/16 power options in manual. And you will have to deal with the 80sec(i think) power off.

if you are looking at S$3xx range, AF360 and Metz 48 would be a good choice. I have used both and I find that Metz 48 is so much better. I feel that Having titlt/swivel is a must have when doing flash photography.

FWIW, I have sold both and got Metz 58. My suggestion is to save a little more and buy the best flash available (photography is a lot about lighting anyways).

Good luck with your choice.

have metz 48. only complaint is that the user interface isn't that good

i got three of these riva3000 flashes two years ago. no problem so far. as with all electronic stuff, there are lemons somewhere out there and darren unfortunately got one of them. that's life.

i dont know whether swissco still carry them but Pentaxians wiped out the entire stock upon the recommendation of this and some other postings in 2008.

it is really good value for money!!

(quote)http://swisscophoto.com.sg/flash.htm

Just got my SB-3000. It is sold under 2 brands, either Lexus or Riva. For Pentax mount, there is only Riva.
Just had a quick test with a K10D & 18-55 lens

Good news:
Works with K10D
Works with Eneloop batteries
Auto zoom with retractable diffuser and reflector
Backlight screen
F/stop and ISO selected on camera will be displayed on the flash's screen
Audio signal when flash is ready
Front curtain, rear curtain sync and slave mode
P-TTL mode, manual with 5 stops setting till 1/16
$94.16 inc GST - value for money

Not so good news:
F/stop range is 1.4 to 11 only. Out of this range, you will get over/under exposure, EVEN with P-TTL
ISO range is 25 to 800 only. Out of this range, you will get over/under exposure, EVEN with P-TTL
Recycle time 7 to 8 sec with Eneloop. A bit slow considering the GN is 24 at 35mm

So there you have it. It is quite a steal. Anyone without a flash or looking for a backup flash should seriously consider one.
(unquote)

Post note: Just called the store. No more carrying the stock although the photographs of the flash still appear on the website.

Last edited: