Flash and night photography

Haidavanilla

Feb 13, 2012
Hi all. I owned a canon 600d with kit lens 1.
Been thinking a lot about getting an external flash but is it necessary?
Problem is I always took night shot and it's troublesome to bring tripod all that and i mostly I took photo of people(friends) And not a still photo.
Come across to a website saying that there is this lens ( 50mm f/1.8) that was say to be a "brighter lens". Was thinking about renting external flash and the lens to see how it works.
Can u guys gimme some opinion?
Thanks a lot :)

Haidavanilla said:
Hi all. I owned a canon 600d with kit lens 1.
Been thinking a lot about getting an external flash but is it necessary?
Problem is I always took night shot and it's troublesome to bring tripod all that and i mostly I took photo of people(friends) And not a still photo.
Come across to a website saying that there is this lens ( 50mm f/1.8) that was say to be a "brighter lens". Was thinking about renting external flash and the lens to see how it works.
Can u guys gimme some opinion?
Thanks a lot :)

*50mm f/1.8

It's just for my own hobby of night photography.

an external flash do make a difference. However you can still stick to your built-in pop up flash, but get a diffuser for it

50mm f/1.8 may be a "brighter lens" but there are situations where even f1.2 may not give you enough light. Besides there are other "problems" when you shoot at large apertures

So external flash is better? Cause I will be taking picture of ppl during night life and there's one time I wanna take burst shot but i understand need a faster shutter speed to do that but the place is quite dim.
So u guys reckon that I try out external flash ?
With using the pop up flash resulting the picture to be harsh and I think with diffuser will just make it softer. ?
Will I achieve both background and foreground be brighter with external flash. ?

What kind of flash u guys reckon. ?
Any difference. ? Cause there's like diff type.
Like 600-ex rt or 430ex.
Canon speed light.

Indoors you can easily light up a room using bounce flash to ceiling (hopefully white). But you cannot light up an entire church or ballroom. Neither can you light up the building behind people in your night shot. Look for the Guide Number (GN) and it's definition, use the calculation of exposure stops to find out what you can do at max. Compare the flash lights also with regards to features (swiveling of the head).
Do read up about flash photography and exposure metering, there is a sticky thread in the Canon section. Without understanding what the camera is doing you'll have a hard time getting your shots.