Fixing a VR problem

Salute :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow, this is insane. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow.. this is amazing :thumbsup::thumbsup:....
but are we able to buy the spare parts off the shelve so easily??? :dunno:

very informative :thumbsup: but when is the workshop? ;)

Thumbs up :thumbsup:

can see how complex the construction it is and what you paid for is worth it

i wonder how did TS get the spare part? :think:

I noticed you managed to get the NEW spare flex cable. Are you able to buy these parts from Nikon SG?

Parts came from overseas. I don't think Nikon SG will sell us ( hope they will in the future ;) )

Someone mentioned that if you send to NSC, they will change you $12 for parts.
We paid much much more than that due to middleman and shipping charges.
So the only savings is on labor cost.

u never fail to amaze me with ur stuffs fatigue!

ryan

HARDCORE!:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Consult daredevil123 for the best adhesive the use to attached the Cable to the lens barrel :cool:

Awesome job bro fatigue, to educate fellow CSers on the issue. I salute you bro, for your sharing and selfless attitude. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

By the way, sorry it slipped my mind to send you the info. Check your inbox bro.

And to other CSers: with regards to adhesive. There are many kinds. Need to investigate to see what actually works for this situation.

Last edited:
Parts came from overseas. I don't think Nikon SG will sell us ( hope they will in the future ;) )

Someone mentioned that if you send to NSC, they will change you $12 for parts.
We paid much much more than that due to middleman and shipping charges.
So the only savings is on labor cost.

Bro, sad but true. NSC refuses to entertain requests to purchase parts.

The labor charge for the replacement of the $12 part is >$150. And that it is a pure replacement. They will not do more preventive maintenance to that high failure risk glue area. So it means that glue will fail again and the FPC jam and damaged again. The good thing is that the service manager Jonathan has committed to taking care of customers with this issues after some of our more esteemed seniors talked to NSC. So if you suspect your FPC ribbon cable failed in your 18-200VR, be sure to look up Jonathan at NSC.

I understand that they may want to restrict availability of parts so as not to let unscrupulous folks to build a lens from scratch. But some parts prone to common failure should be offered.

Maybe they see it as a threat to their services offered at NSC. Many of us are enthusiast to the level we will actually learn to disassemble and repair some of our own lenses. IMHO, if NSC gives the support in sale of some parts, support for Nikon products will actually increase, and loyalty to the brand will skyrocket.

Last edited:
i wonder how did TS get the spare part? :think:

I think it is a secret... ;)

If the cat is out of the bag, we may lose that source for parts and no one will be able to get their lenses fixed by anyone but NSC.

Thank you for sharing. Just curious, do you need a laminar flow unit to perform this?
If not, how you ensure that no dust will get into the lens?

springing salute bro...thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing. Just curious, do you need a laminar flow unit to perform this?
If not, how you ensure that no dust will get into the lens?

It's normal for a lens to have minor dust. Even a brand new lens has visible dust.
In fact, zoom lenses are not fully sealed. There are some gaps to let air in and out for zooming.
So dust goes in and out of our lens

During reassembly, I just have to ensure that there is no visible or should I say no significant dust.

To answer your question, no , I don't think we need a laminar flow.
I'm not sure if any of those camera service centers or 3rd party shops here in Singapore have the kind of facility

Last edited: