Fish-eye lenses for A900

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteloud

Oct 1, 2006
Hi Guys,

What fish-eye and ultra-wide lenses are there for the A900. Ideally I am looking for something in the 8mm to 16mm range?

Pete

Hi Guys,

What fish-eye and ultra-wide lenses are there for the A900. Ideally I am looking for something in the 8mm to 16mm range?

Pete

Fish-Eye
Peleng MF Circular FE 8mm f/3.5, Need to have Alpha mount.
Sony FE 16mm f/2.8
Minolta FE 7.5mm

Ultra-Wide
Minolta / Tamron 17-35
Minolta (G) 17-35
Sony CZ 16-35
Sigma 12-24
and perhaps some more...

Sigma has a few but all I am aware of is for APS-C version.

Last edited:
I did some reading up of various FE for Alpha DSLR. Most of the FE that selling in the market are design for FF, which mean better suit for A900. If use it on APS-C, the FE lens would behave like a wide-angle prime lens. However, I did not include my reading on circular FE, as I am not sure how to properly frame it to get a good picture. I have seen many shots using circular FE at flickr, but not confident to use it myself, so focus on diagonal-FE only.

There are many FE for A900. Though, I think the old Minolta 16mm FE is a good lens. It feels solid (full metal) and has builtin color filters (not sure that is the right term for it). Sony 16mm FE is actually Minolta in new body but it feels more "plastic".

You are looking for circular or diagonal FE? I suggest try do some search of how the pictures would look like and decide later on which type to buy.

Personal, if I have A900, I would have kept my Minolta 16mm FE, but since I am using A350, I sold it to fund the purchase of Sigma 10mm FE. Though I do enjoy the Sigma 10mm FE, I still miss the old Minolta 16mm FE. :bheart: Well... At least I sold it to a bro who I know, he is going to make good use of it. :D

> You are looking for circular or diagonal FE? I suggest try do some search of how the pictures would look like and decide later on which type to buy.

As I said, I am looking for something between 8 and 16mm. I currently use an 8mm and a 10-20mm, (mostly at 10mm), on my Canon 350D so I am familiar with the effects. It is not simply a case of wanting circular or diagonal FE, I will have to make a compromise choice as the so little or nothing to choose from. At the moment I feel inclined to delay purchasing an A900 until Sigma bring out their 8mm lens with a Sony fitting.

Pete

> You are looking for circular or diagonal FE? I suggest try do some search of how the pictures would look like and decide later on which type to buy.

As I said, I am looking for something between 8 and 16mm. I currently use an 8mm and a 10-20mm, (mostly at 10mm), on my Canon 350D so I am familiar with the effects. It is not simply a case of wanting circular or diagonal FE, I will have to make a compromise choice as the so little or nothing to choose from. At the moment I feel inclined to delay purchasing an A900 until Sigma bring out their 8mm lens with a Sony fitting.

Pete

Err... I thought Sigma 8mm FE already available for Sony, is one of the lens listed at dyxum.

Edit: Just checked, and yes, according to Sigma web site, it is already available for Sony. Is a circular FE.

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_35.htm

EDIT2: LOL, I missed the bold part of the text, only announced for Sony, not available yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.