First time

Status
Not open for further replies.

librus

Hi guys,I'm new in photography and hope u guys can give me some comments and pointers on this shot that i took at Labrador Park. I decided to do a B/W on it coz the atmosphere and weather at the time wasn't good. Honest comments and critics are welcome, thanx.:)
2655176293_13604440eb.jpg

Hi guys,I'm new in photography and hope u guys can give me some comments and pointers on this shot that i took at Labrador Park. I decided to do a B/W on it coz the atmosphere and weather at the time wasn't good. Honest comments and critics are welcome, thanx.:)
2625153738_1b18255621.jpg

I think the contrast is good. a couple standing at the corner would improve the atmosphere more.

Agreed. Its looks abit empty and not sure what and where is your main subject.
Having a main subject is critical in photography so that viewer will know what to look out for and what is the subject you want to empathize, which tells the overall story of the photo.

Someone standing at the railing will greatly improve the photo!

Cheers

Agreed. Its looks abit empty and not sure what and where is your main subject.
Having a main subject is critical in photography so that viewer will know what to look out for and what is the subject you want to empathize, which tells the overall story of the photo.

Someone standing at the railing will greatly improve the photo!

Cheers
You guys are right, why on earth didn't i think of that?! Thanx...will surely improveon it!:thumbsup:

u do b&W cos the pic looks good in B&W and not for any other reasons, such as "the atmosphere and weather at the time wasn't good".

That is tantamount to say B&W is a kind of salvage or cover up job, and implying that B&W is a sort of "2nd class citizen". Of course there are people who use B&W to cover for flaws and as 2nd class citizens, but thats not how u ought to start esp since you are new to photography, for B&W is a separate genre all of its own.

But on the plus side u do seem to "get" B&W intuitively, as this pic is not a bad B&W, esp in the very tactile feel of the wet boards. The negative is the rather bland sky. I think you can be commended too for trying to bring up some details, but it was not too successful. There are few more tricks in B&W conversion to help that.

As to the other critique of empty composition, it depends on what was the "composition" intended for, which you only may know, if you had deliberately composed the scene before releasing the shutter. Or maybe you fired off instinctively.

For example, as a stock photo - or as wall paper for your computer - the picture is adequate, for users of stock photo usu prefer incomplete and "empty" composition to be filled up with other stuff - like words - to achieve whatever their intended message is to be. And then it is also adequate if you simply want to record the scene at that time and place and weather. But if you ask me if I want to hang the picture on my wall, I would not want to.

Honestly wat tt i see gd here are only 2 things. Which are, the colours "BnW" and the capture of the wet floor. The rest is not sound, imho the frame that you were trying to create around the bridge seems incomplete. THe sky is badly overblown. I believe if u had take another 3 steps back, the composition of the pic might have a stronger statement. Just my 2 cents, keep shooting and learning.

Like to look at the actual pic.... ok to show?

This is actually the actual pic which was taken B/W by my camera except it was cropped becoz the original pic featured a rubbish bin on the left side of the frame...which i thought was unappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.