First IR Outing - Sentosa 12th Feb 2006


Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hi All,

Please help to comment and advice for improvement. Appreciate the help. Thank you very much. :sweat:

#1. Around the tree Area(Original)



#2 Around the tree Area (PS using Ark19's IR PS Action)


#3 Around the tree Area (Self-adjustment PS)
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Hot Spot Problem

The following photo got a hot spot at the top centre region. :(

Maybe because I was facing the sun when I took the shoots.

#4 Hot Spot (Original)


#5 Hot Spot (After PS)
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,192
0
0
東京 Tokyo
the 'unprocessed' ones look rather under IMO ... that's a lens flare in #4 and #5, not hotspot ;)
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
eikin said:
the 'unprocessed' ones look rather under IMO ... that's a lens flare in #4 and #5, not hotspot ;)
Hi eikin,

Thanks for pointing out the lens flare issue.

For the unprocessed one, does it mean that I must do more exposure compensation? The current one already compensate with +0.7 already. Please advice. Thank you.
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,192
0
0
東京 Tokyo
Francis247 said:
Hi eikin,

Thanks for pointing out the lens flare issue.

For the unprocessed one, does it mean that I must do more exposure compensation? The current one already compensate with +0.7 already. Please advice. Thank you.
usually i shoot with +3 to +4 on A mode, sometimes i prefer to go fully manual for better control :)
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
eikin said:
usually i shoot with +3 to +4 on A mode, sometimes i prefer to go fully manual for better control :)
Hi eikin,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe will try it next time to see the effect. :)

Just one question, do you adjust the level during the PS? Was wondering if you +3 or +4 for exposure compensation, what will happen if you adjust the level?
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,192
0
0
東京 Tokyo
Francis247 said:
Hi eikin,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe will try it next time to see the effect. :)

Just one question, do you adjust the level during the PS? Was wondering if you +3 or +4 for exposure compensation, what will happen if you adjust the level?
hmmm ... don't know how to answer this actually, the exposure compensation's degree is variable for different types of cameras because different cameras achieve reasonable exposure with different settings for the same scene. it's just to get a properly exposed image to work on for a start.

for post processing, a image with better exposure will of course require less adjustment (in terms of exposure) and adjustment can be done in many ways, 'level' is just one of them :)
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
eikin said:
hmmm ... don't know how to answer this actually, the exposure compensation's degree is variable for different types of cameras because different cameras achieve reasonable exposure with different settings for the same scene. it's just to get a properly exposed image to work on for a start.

for post processing, a image with better exposure will of course require less adjustment (in terms of exposure) and adjustment can be done in many ways, 'level' is just one of them :)
Alright, thanks a lot for pointing out. Will try to shoot more and experiment more and PS more to learn about IR Photography, it is really very interesting. Thank you. :)
 

eikin

Senior Member
Apr 27, 2004
10,192
0
0
東京 Tokyo
Francis247 said:
Alright, thanks a lot for pointing out. Will try to shoot more and experiment more and PS more to learn about IR Photography, it is really very interesting. Thank you. :)
always welcomed :) btw i prefer to adjust my pictures with curve, curve adjustment incorporates brightness, contrast, saturation and levels. open the histogram window in your PS and adjust the curve of your picture, observe how the histogram changes ;)
 

airforce1

Active Member
Aug 18, 2003
2,350
0
36
Normally I forget to compensated the photo. PS I used levels to brightens the photos and used IR workflow and usm it. I try different workflow to made the shots stand out.

Very nice series. Thanks for sharing.
 

eawtan

Senior Member
Feb 4, 2004
1,370
0
36
Tampines
Francis247 said:
Hi eikin,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe will try it next time to see the effect. :)

Just one question, do you adjust the level during the PS? Was wondering if you +3 or +4 for exposure compensation, what will happen if you adjust the level?
I was using +2.5 for my shots. Remember to cover the eye-piece when taking the shot (unless you're on M) .
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
eawtan said:
I was using +2.5 for my shots. Remember to cover the eye-piece when taking the shot (unless you're on M) .
Thanks for the advice.
Yap, will remember to cover eye-piece from now on when shooting IR. It will make a big different. :sweatsm:
 

photoexpress

New Member
Mar 16, 2005
1,071
0
0
Singapore (South)
photobucket.com
It's nice meeting you, Francis.

You are almost there already... just only note the exposure which caused by the view finder not covered. No problem, practice make perfect. Good work!

Cheers!
 

teerex

New Member
Mar 10, 2003
4,883
0
0
Singapore
Francis,

You're doing ok. Just remember the do's and dont's, you'll be fine.

Shoot more, and practice you pp. Don't be afraid to play with the setting when you pp, experiment with them.
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
photoexpress said:
It's nice meeting you, Francis.

You are almost there already... just only note the exposure which caused by the view finder not covered. No problem, practise make perfect. Good work!

Cheers!
Hi Photoexpress,

Thanks for your guidance and help during the outing. Do look forward to the next outing. Wish to practise more and learn more about IR Photography.

Regards
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
teerex said:
Francis,

You're doing ok. Just remember the do's and dont's, you'll be fine.

Shoot more, and practice you pp. Don't be afraid to play with the setting when you pp, experiment with them.
Hi Teerex,

Thanks for the help and advice. Will try to remember those pointers that you mentioned during the outing.

Do look forward to the next outing so that can shoot more and practise. Will try to play around more with the Photoshop to achieve the different effect. Thanks.

Regards
 

Status
Not open for further replies.