First Impressions of the Leica M10

Cactus jACK

Staff member
Jul 12, 2004
Singapore (Kallang)
[18.Jan.2017] The Leica-M family just got bigger, with it's slimmest digital-M body yet - the Leica M10.

Full press release with technical specs are available here - http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1655891

Highlights
• 24 Megapixel full size CMOS sensor specially developed for M 10
• The latest generation "LEICA MAESTRO II" processor
• ISO sensitivity range of ISO 100 ~ 50,000
• 2 GB internal memory, high-speed continuous shooting of up to 5 frames per second
• Equipped with ISO click dial on top cover
• The depth of the top cover is only 33.75 mm and the slimmest form among the digital-Ms
• Raised viewfinder magnification to 0.73, and improved eye relief
• Rear has only a joystick and three buttons: "LV", "Play", "Menu"
• Built-in Wi-Fi function to transmit RAW DNG files
• Compatible with Visoflex Electronic viewfinder
• Size: 139 × 80 × 38.5 mm
• Weight: 660 g (including battery)

Oliver Kaltner (CEO Leica Camera AG) launches the Leica M10

Dr. Andreas Kaufmann w/ the Ur-Leica and Oliver Kaltner w/ the Leica M10

Joel Meyerowitz's induction into the Leica Hall of Fame - http://www.joelmeyerowitz.com/

Last edited:
Initial impressions... there are several eye elements to the M10 development that are worth noting, esp for RF users.

Dials: The introduction of the ISO setting dial on the top plate allows for all essential shooting parameters such as focusing, aperture, shutter speed, ISO value, and EV adjustments to be selected manually without using the menu.
Sensor: The M10’s 24 MP, full-frame CMOS sensor has a unique pixel and microlens architecture which enables rays of light arriving at the sensor from oblique angles to be captured by its photodiodes. This is especially useful for wide angle lenses and large aperture lenses. Promising impressive dynamic range, excellent contrast rendition, exceptional sharpness and finest resolution of details.

Some other complementary features that are introduced / changed in the M10 include,
Wifi (RAW): This enables wireless transfer of RAW DNG images to Apple mobile devices (iOS Version 10.2), where they can be edited with the Leica M-App.
Body Size: The top plate depth of the M10 is only 33.75mm, 4mm less than that of its close relative, the Leica M (Typ 240). The Leica M10 is now the slimmest digital M of all time.
Viewfinder: The field of view of the viewfinder has been enlarged by 30 percent and the magnification factor has been increased to 0.73. The eye-relief has also been considerably increased by 50 percent, making the viewfinder more comfortable to use, particularly for photographers who wear glasses.

Leica M10 ISO dial

Leica M10 thumb dial which can be configured for EV adjustment (or LV magnification)

Leica M Application on iOS app store

Last edited:
Beyond my initial impressions, I think that it was a few steps in the right direction, but if you have to put a score out of 10 on it, I don't think the results would be conclusive.

For those who know me, my wish for a digital rangefinder has been a “digital M7”, essentially the body of the M7, with a “solid” sensor, preferably in black paint. Okay, a black paint MP with aperture priority would be better… but point is, the M10 has almost hit this mark, providing the M7 experience in a digital body.

Focus, aperture and shutter speed, has been no different from the previous digital-M models, but the difference is the availability of the ISO (new dial) and EV adjustments (thumb dial), which were previously on the M7 back plate. Not having to go into the menu or press a button with dialling to change these parameters, makes is easier to focus on capturing the moment.

On the hand-ons, I noted a couple of things about the new ISO Dial,
i) it is only for full-stops (no 1/3 or 1/2 stops) and ranges from ISO100-ISO6400, and
ii) you'll need to push / pull it up in order to scroll.
People's milage may vary on this, arguing the need for the "safely" measure. But the introduction of the ISO dial is a welcomed addition to the top plate. In any case, the ISO can still be adjusted from the menu from ISO100, ISO200-ISO50,000 in 1/3 stops.

The dials controlling these parameters settled, the next most important element would be the sensor. The new 24MP Sensor boasts improvements with ISO up to 50,000, which promises to be a marked improvement over the previous sensors. I heard some asking for more megapixels, but I would trade improvements in low light performance over marginal increase in megapixels.

The Leica M10 Viewfinder Framelines have lost the LED red (of the M240), and have reverted to the analogue framelines. Together with the frameline selection lever. I personally prefer the classic analogue framelines, although the red LED is often appreciated in low light shooting conditions.

Leica M10 ISO dial (pushed / pulled up to scroll ISO settings)

Leica M10 frameline selection lever

Last edited:
A couple of other changes to note, the On/Off switch has been simplified to On and Off only, away from the "Off", "S", "C", "Timer" switch. For those who like to shoot one drive mode only, and sometimes accidentally move the switch to other modes, this is for you. You can fix the "On" drive mode in the menu.

Rear buttons have also been simplified to a joystick and three buttons - "LV", "Play", "Menu". The lack of a convenient "Delete" button may well cause behavioural changes among digital-M user, championing the reduction of "chimping" allowing photographers to focusing on the world around them, and capturing those important moments. But you can still delete unwanted images through the menu during playback.

Lastly, the Video Mode is no longer availably on this iteration of Leica digital-M with a CMOS sensor, but no different from the CCD sensored Ms. The lack of the video mode on a digital-M is actually a non-issue to me (coming from a M9 user), although, some may argue otherwise. I understand the argument that technology-wise, there is no reason why it cannot be there, but I think many would be quite happy simply taking images of "decisive moments" with their digital-Ms.

Leica M10 On/Off switch

Leica M10 rear body button layout

Leica M10 with Leica Visoflex electronic viewfinder

Last edited:
Finally, the slimmer body and lighter body makes has a nice feel to it, the improved VF enhances the experience of how you see the world through the camera, and leaner handling focusing on essentials, but much would depend on the performance of the sensor. I'll let the following images speak for themselves. But there's nothing like going down to your local Leica store to fondle, look through the viewfinder, and check out the IQ of the images.

Availability and Price:
Available from 19 January 2017
Price: S$9,950

Leica M10 test shot by CJ, out of camera jpeg

Leica M10 test shot by CJ, out of camera jpeg

Last edited:
Good read from a local...

I had not held it physically to tell the slight difference in weight and size.

Things I think I like;
a) ISO sensitivity - this would makes M10 a better low-light shooter at 3200 even 6400, not sure if I would be comfortable any higher. Currently, my M262 can only shoot up to 3200, not considering the push ISOs but given a choice, I would max out at 1600. Considering Leica does not have any form of stabilizing technology, this will help in shake-free shoots in low light.

b) ISO dial on top plate - now aperture, shutter speed and ISO are accessible without accessing the menu, this is literally a return to film-days.

c) Live-view - this is not a very Leica film thing but this is extremely helpful when I need a shoot from a ground perspective without the need to be laying prone on the ground, contorting my neck and head to the OVF.

d) OVF magnifier - I think the magnifier is now larger so I would think using the OVF is easier for my eyes which are not getting better with age.

e) No video - not that I would use it anyway.

Things I don't really care;
a) Better sensor - IQ is very subjective and I like what I shoot - so I cannot complain

b) Bigger buffer and faster burst rates - I can live with M262 with a high speed SD card and I rarely need machine-gun mode.

c) Wifi - When outside, I would transfer using the apple SD card device to iPad most of the time. Wifi is probably going to be slow and drain the battery which is smaller to start with.

Will I upgrade - probably not for the time being, 3K (sell off M262 and buy M10) is still a lot to spend for the above. 3K can buy me a brand new 24mm/f3.8.

You may be interested to read Interview with the Oliver Kaltner (CEO, Leica Camera AG), 19 January 2017 - shares his thoughts on the Leica Camera portfolio, the collaboration with Huuwei, the Leica Sofort, and even the upcoming rising star in the Leica TL.

As well as, Interview with the Leica product team that designed the new Leica M10, 19 January 2017 - touching on points regarding the video mode, ISO dial, sensor development, "Typ" naming, body size, uncompressed raw.