First Attempt on HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyW

Feb 7, 2008
Choa Chu Kang
Hi Guys & Gurus,

I recently trying to mendle with HDR. This is my first work. Care to give some comments for improvements?

IMG_1365_6_7_8_9.jpg"

The HDR is good, but you may want to reduce the intensity of color on the trees. Trees are very green and they can change the composition of an hdr if the color tone is not balanced..Hope that helps:)

here is one that i did recently..

3149174063_b40672df27_b.jpg

there is no haloing, ts

but like what has been mentioned, the trees are too blue

photomatix likes to throw color casts, sometimes it will be a dominant yellow, a dominant green, a dominant blue or cyan

all this can be corrected with saturation/hue tool or color balance with further massaging in photoshop

you might consider having more aggressive sharpening as well. :)

Bro Night86mare, you mentioned that there is no halo-ing in TS's pic.....would like to ask if halo-ing is a must in HDR pics?:)

Bro Night86mare, you mentioned that there is no halo-ing in TS's pic.....would like to ask if halo-ing is a must in HDR pics?:)

i expect the usual people to come in any moment to express their disagreement.

this is my personal view, and does not represent a must or must not do

but here it is:

a natural looking hdr should not have haloing in it. :)

a natural looking hdr should not have haloing in it. :)

Ah.....cool...get what u mean....i have to agree that the presence of halo-ing makes the pic look very edited.......thks for the clarifications bro

sorry bro... whats halo-ing?

take a look at this link

look at the tree glowing on the right, that is haloing.

it is a zone of brightness around elements/objects in a photograph. can be caused by many things, including overagressive unsharp mask, overmanipulation (in this case, hdr).

Hmm... Thanks!

Anyway,
What I did was I took 5 exposures,
Photomatrix.
Autolevel.

Anymore basic steps I can input to improve?

Hmm... Thanks!

Anyway,
What I did was I took 5 exposures,
Photomatrix.
Autolevel.

Anymore basic steps I can input to improve?

try playing around with the tone mapping parameters in photomatix.

i generally leave saturation around 50-80, depending on scene, the more colorful it is, the more liberal you can be, to a certain extent. for example, sunset is more resilient towards saturation from photomatix program.

strength is usually around 50-70 maximum. gives more natural results.

workflow in photoshop thereafter:

1) shadow/highlight adjustment (minimal)
2) color balance - to remove color casts, by eye
3) curves, to regain contrast that is lost when you hdr
4) increment of exposure, reduction of gamma in exposure tool
5) more aggressive unsharp mask than usual

other than the over-green greens of your trees, you might consider adjusting it such that the trees are not bright to the extent that they are brighter than the sky. unless you have had extremely warped light (very rare), this will not be the case. the sun is always the brighest thing in any picture, it is not present here; the next brightest would usually be the sky, with the exception of some very rare scenes.

this problem lies with your photomatix tone mapping strength - reduce the strength and it should be resolved.

Thanks alot of the info. I believe this is the infant step of me in HDR!

hi! hope to share my first try on hdr editting as well, hope it's ok i borrow this thread ;)

3158558131_a84106ff57_b.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
good effort but if it looked like a little over PS..

Status
Not open for further replies.