Firmware Upgrade (EOS 550D)

LearnFromBasic

Jul 8, 2010
Bishan (Central)
www.flickr.com
I went to the canon showroom at Vivo City yesterday. I noticed the EOS 550D ISO can set up to ISO Hi (12800) while mine is only 6400. The firmware version of the EOS 550D is 1.0.8 or 1.8.0 (Forgotten). Went canon website just now and i can't find the firmware software. Anyone can teach me how to update?

Calibration
I don't really get the meaning of calibration but what I am told from other people is about setting the image colour that suits our body, performance and others.

Appreciate help from Kind Souls (Simple English If Can because my English not that good)

Thank You :D

Hi,

First of all, can you check your custom function 6 - Highlight Tone Priority is enabled or not? If you have enabled it, then your selectable ISO will be 200 -6,400. You will see a D+ symbol dispalyed on the LCD screen or in the viewfinder if you have enabled it.

Disable it, and you should be able to select ISO 12,800.

Lastly, you have to define what do you mean by calibration? It can mean a few things.

For example, color calibration on your Notebook/PC monitor screen or calibration of the lens due to front/back focusing.

I think you have to go into one of the custom functions to enable "ISO expansion"

Lastly, you have to define what do you mean by calibration? It can mean a few things.

For example, color calibration on your Notebook/PC monitor screen or calibration of the lens due to front/back focusing.

I want to know about calibration of the lens due to front/back focusing. I felt that my tamron 17-50mm non-vc got abit front/back focusing issue and the focusing speed seems to be slower then the kit lens 18-55mm.

I do not think CSC will calibrate your 17-50 as it is a third party lens.

So how to do i solve my tamron 17-50mm non-vc front and back focusing problem? Actually it is still usable but the focusing usually hunt not like the kit lens. Color wise I think it should be alright.

when a canon lens spoils i bring it to canon customer service for repair
when my tamron lens spoils i bring it to__________________ for repair

10 marks question

10 marks question

So if Tamron lens got back/front focussing problem bring it to Tamron Service Centre. Maybe I also did not really shoot much that's why i felt that there is a slight problem.

if the problem is negligible i think it's best for you to just stick to it

read some horrible stories regarding 3rd party lens service centers

So if Tamron lens got back/front focussing problem bring it to Tamron Service Centre. Maybe I also did not really shoot much that's why i felt that there is a slight problem.

Front/back focusing can be corrected thru micro adjust. However only models such as 1DIII, 1DIV, 1DsMkIII, 5DII, 50D, 7D support this feature.

Just wanna check if it is really needed to upgrade the firmware and it seems that Canon singapore did not release this newer firmware, so if we upgraded and have problem, will the service center refuse to fix our camera? :dunno:

10 marks question

this question is :cool:

Go google search on focusing test chart, print it out, following the instruction rigidly to do focusing test.
if the test result shows back/front focusing, than bring your lens to Tamron Service Centre.
if the test result is normal, than most likely the back/front focusing issue is user problem.

I have done the upgrade.. but the iso still remain 6400, is there any other setting i miss out? I have check, current status on firmware is 1.0.8.. anyone facing the same issue?

Please go to your custom setting to enable ISO Expansion. :)