Fire Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplemotion

Jul 5, 2006
I took this shot recently from a fire breathing performance. For your CC, please. Thanks!

Fire breathing is one of the most dangerous of all the fire arts, and not just due to the obvious risk of serious burns. To increase safety, fire breathers must avoid highly explosive fuels such as alcohol, spirit-based fuels, and most petrochemicals, instead using safer combustibles with a high flash point (>50 °C) and relatively low burn temperature.

Wind direction is extremely important when fire breathing. To determine the wind direction artists usually watch the flame on their torch. If the torch's flame is not being blown in any specific direction then it is safe to breathe. If a torch's flame is consistently blowing in a specific direction it is safe to breathe in that direction. Wind reversal can cause the flame to burn the breather.

DSC_6196.jpg

I'm not qualified to give critiques on photos, but i like this piece of work - good exposure and sharpness, nice composition and great moment!

I'm not qualified to give critiques on photos, but i like this piece of work - good exposure and sharpness, nice composition and great moment!

same comments too. hard to improve this photo given its short moment of action. nice.:thumbsup:

only nitpick is on the distracting fire in the background behind the hand. otherwise the frame captured the person's expression and the details of the flame well. i think it's good that you included some information about this art, maybe include the source of the quote as well?

Hello,

only nitpick is on the distracting fire in the background behind the hand. otherwise the frame captured the person's expression and the details of the flame well. i think it's good that you included some information about this art, maybe include the source of the quote as well?
Yup, have to agree the fire above the hand is a little bit distracting. It's due to other fire breathing performers in the background and there were holding their torches. A bit of PS may solve this..

This is shot in dark lighting conditions with the fire breathers moving around. The only ambient lighting is from the fire itself. I need to pre-empt when they are going to spew their fire out and compose the shot accordingly. There are probably only split seconds to compose, focus and shoot before the fire 'dies' away.

You can see the veins popping out from the performer's throat - an indication that he is really blowing hard. :sticktong

I got the quote from Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_breathing.

Thanks for all the CCs!

Status
Not open for further replies.