FinePix S8000fd: Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the first Fuji prosumer model with IS right? I think 18X optical zoom is definitely a SURPLUS for sports, wild life and landscape shooting.

JMO.:sweat:

I was surprised there was lack of crowd at this counter.

Tested mainly for image quality at 18x after reading reports on Olympus sp550uz.

Feel: plasticky, feels even rough, but light.
Size: compact enough to fit both hands, and carry around.
Focus: focused at min zoom, and at 18x zoom, using stabiliser. Quick in focus is set on spot. Also face detection comes in, even at 18x. Tried with and without LCD framing the shots. LCD no problem, but view finder ~ after adjusting optio...ok.
Image quality: at 18x zoom, some shots were not sharp, but some shots were. Not sure why as time testing was too brief. At low range of lens, image was similar to other compact cameras that were 8mpixel. Tried to focus and take some of the advertisements in the hall, no problem. Then found they had set at highest ISO (1600).
Did not use highest (boost setting).
Processing after each shot: some lag time (1-2 seconds), but acceptable.
Price quoted was $645, but sales person willing to sell at even $595, if asked [8 Megapixel with 18x optical zoom, 27mm wide angle lens, dual image stabilizer, 10-face detection engine and ultra high sensitivity up to ISO6400 (4MP only). ]
Overall: focus not as fast as panasonic fz50, but 18x zoom appears to be acceptable within the limited time and environment of the exhibition.
Would I buy it: for the features? No, if I already own other cameras. For the price? Yes. Surprised to find such a good camera selling at less than $600 !

I was surprised there was lack of crowd at this counter.

Tested mainly for image quality at 18x after reading reports on Olympus sp550uz.

Feel: plasticky, feels even rough, but light.
Size: compact enough to fit both hands, and carry around.
Focus: focused at min zoom, and at 18x zoom, using stabiliser. Quick in focus is set on spot. Also face detection comes in, even at 18x. Tried with and without LCD framing the shots. LCD no problem, but view finder ~ after adjusting optio...ok.
Image quality: at 18x zoom, some shots were not sharp, but some shots were. Not sure why as time testing was too brief. At low range of lens, image was similar to other compact cameras that were 8mpixel. Tried to focus and take some of the advertisements in the hall, no problem. Then found they had set at highest ISO (1600).
Did not use highest (boost setting).
Processing after each shot: some lag time (1-2 seconds), but acceptable.
Price quoted was $645, but sales person willing to sell at even $595, if asked [8 Megapixel with 18x optical zoom, 27mm wide angle lens, dual image stabilizer, 10-face detection engine and ultra high sensitivity up to ISO6400 (4MP only). ]
Overall: focus not as fast as panasonic fz50, but 18x zoom appears to be acceptable within the limited time and environment of the exhibition.
Would I buy it: for the features? No, if I already own other cameras. For the price? Yes. Surprised to find such a good camera selling at less than $600 !

The processing of shots depends on the memory card used too, if it is a slower card, then the processing time is slower naturally.

The "IS" is just a system that helps to reduce(not prevent) blur images but not 100% all the time. Even in the Lumix models, if you try FULL zoom at 12X, you can't get 10 out of 10 pics with the same sharpness in an exhibition hall for e.g.

But if you pit the S8000fd or any FUJI in general to any LUMIX, it always wins hands down for its superb low noise images. And this S8000fd, to what I know, is the first FUJI prosumer cam with an IS. So let's picture this, let alone low noise images + IS = a good camera. The 18X zoom is a surplus! Price is a STEAL IMHO. :sweat:

i gt this from comex @ 599

come with previous mentioned freebies + 1gb sd + SD card cleaner. nv do research but i think the freebies, spec and price quite matched.

personally liked the 1cm super macro mode. ( not sure if other cam also have this :dunno: )

also feature a dual shot ( 1 with flash 1 w/o )

and i think night time use 4mp to shoot is good...

Got it at same price but without the SD card cleaner from the 6th lvl....will try it this weekend.

come with previous mentioned freebies + 1gb sd + SD card cleaner. nv do research but i think the freebies, spec and price quite matched.

personally liked the 1cm super macro mode. ( not sure if other cam also have this :dunno: )

yup, all the features u mentioned are found in the older fuji models. i suppose one of the only distinctive new feature is the lens type image stabilisation in the 8000fd.

Besides, COMEX is there any other place selling and HAS STOCK?!:think::gbounce:

Besides, COMEX is there any other place selling and HAS STOCK?!:think::gbounce:

I think I saw ppl mentioned price qouted from other shops is 649. maybe you need to bargain down abit :think:

it just launched last week.

For those who owned this camera, could we get some indications how is the performance (speed) and image quality (at different ISO)? Thanks.

any update on owners for the high ISO for this non super-ccd imager?

Not much review on this camera. Is it really that bad?

Congrads on Ur purchase, any pix to share

hi all, considering that this cam interests me, i pulled off some links from dpreview's fuji forum. Honestly, i think for the price, s8000fd delivers not too bad a package for a superzoom. here, it's is compared against a sony H9.

http://caff.smugmug.com/gallery/3552631/1/201251170#201251170
http://caff.smugmug.com/gallery/3552853/1/201264814
http://caff.smugmug.com/gallery/3552631/1/201393775#201393775
http://caff.smugmug.com/

update: this guy updated his gallery showing off the different zoom levels. looks quite good to me. any other opinions?

i just called ms color... they out of stock le... zzz

For those who are interested, the stocks are here.

beside f50fd, i also like this camera.
it has almost all features u can ever asked for, if u want something better, have to wait for s9700fd.

This camera delivers.

Image stabiliser works very well.

Photo's are sharp and colour good.

Compact for it's 18 x zoom.

Way better results than the Oly 560.

If you can use shots taken at 4mp, the 15 shot burst is very usefull for action capture.

Will take high speed SD card too.

N/z selection is a good add for many that are new to the abilities if digital cameras.

As I sell cameras, I will offer this one before the Oly 560 and the Canon S5IS any time.

Just my view :)

I read with keen interest in getting this camera. Does anyone know if I can have any acessories for this camera e.g lens ood, macro lens etc?

About the s9700fd as mentioned by Limbang, when is dis model coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.