Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

stasystylez

Jun 23, 2008
is UV filter a must have?

i only got CPL filter on both on my lens.
does CPL also helps in unwanted UV lights?

You don't have to have UV filters BUT they do protect the lens should you ever drop it.

DO NOT leave a CPL on the lens unless you are using it. The reason is that a Circular polarizing filter reduces the incomming light by at least 1 stop. It should only be fitted and used when you need the filter, for example to cut reflections off water, glass or to increase the blueness of the sky. A good general filter to have on a camera lens is a Skylight 1A or UV(0).

Please note: many professionals do not use UV or Skylight filters on lenses unless needed.

digital sensors unlike film are not prone to UV radiation throwing a bluish cast, UV filters if u r a dslr user will just be for protection.

abit more care with ur lens equipments and u should not need any filters for protecting. but if u do want a filter for a peace of mind, do consider getting a high quality filter.

ryan

Have you used the search function? Your question is one that most newbies come across, hence it's often discussed. Secondly, reading up the basics of photographic filters will also help. CPL are not 'always on' filters. Whoever told you so is purposely misleading you.

if ur lens is a cheap lens..den dun bother with the filter. it's for protection rather den for actual use.

EDIT: sorry..in case u misunderstand.. the above is meant for UV filter. Of course CPL filter has it uses..but it should never be a always on filter. dun be misled.

for lens protection alone u can consider uv or maybe neutral lens as digital sensor is not that sensitive to uv rays compared to film. cpl is specific filter not a "walkabout" filter for lens as previous post mentioned

UV filter helps by protecting your lens glass from any sort of scratch
So it sort of works like a first line of defence :)

no.

yah ok.

it should. but that's not its main purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.