Filters? which type should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlin

Jan 24, 2002
AMK
Visit site
I am considering buying the P series Cokin filters but seriously dun know much abt filter system can anybody enlighten me or recommend an economical set?

For me , i need a circular polarizer and a ND filter for now. Considering cost, should I get a screw on or filter holder. I went CP , they told P series fits fromm 55mm all the way to 82mm but they have 2 types of P series..wide angle and the normal one cost 30 buck jus for the holder :bigeyes: ...for those P series filter , is it rectangular or circle in shape cos i saw the A series is circle in shape.

Marlin:

I suggest that yol take lots of photographs before investing your money in filters. Honestly, they are not necessary for a huge set of scenarios.

Yea filters are nice to have but it is important to understand why you want to use them. To understand, you need to shoot a lot and find for yourself what is lacking in your images (as opposed to what you wanted to obtain). Depending on this buy only the filters that fit your use.

Don't get carried away by online articles and buy filters because someone recommends them (however logical their explanation). If you do buy, buy the best you can afford (if you cannot afford the best, don't buy).

I am sorry this does not answer your quesiton on Cokin P series but gives you an idea of whether you need a system at all in the first place...

The cheapest filter system that can accommodate square or rectangular filters is the Cokin series. The much more expensive ones are the Hitech and Lee brands. If you are using SLR cameras and had very wide angle lens then you have to go for at least P series and the wide angle holder that has less slots but will not cause vignetting.

If you are using DSLR the useful filters are circular polarizer, ND Grad and ND. If you are using film SLR, you can add warm up filters on top of those that I mentioned above to your collection. Filters are quite essential tools if you are shooting landscapes so get them as soon as possible and experiment with it.

There are plentiful resources in the internet on filters, just do a search for it. Enjoy.

songandesther said:
The cheapest filter system that can accommodate square or rectangular filters is the Cokin series. The much more expensive ones are the Hitech and Lee brands.

the hitech nd filters and nd grad costs £12.50 each at http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech.html. after conversion, it should be around S$35.

Status
Not open for further replies.