Filter size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
Do you buy a filter in every size for the lens you own? Or do you buy a large size and use step down rings?

I now have a 67 mm and 52 mm thread lenses. I won't be surprised if I own a 77 mm lens six months down the road. E.g. Buying a 77 mm circular polarizer and using a stepdown on a 52 mm will look kind of silly right? Does anybody do that?

Some filters are very expensive. Buying three pieces can easily add up to $500. It doesn't make any economic sense either.

Any sharing of experience or comments will be appreciated.

Most of my lens uses 77mm and some smaller but I only buy 77mm and step down so that I can use them all. I use a 500D 77mm step down to 52 for testing. Seems OK to me.

bernards said:
Do you buy a filter in every size for the lens you own? Or do you buy a large size and use step down rings?

I now have a 67 mm and 52 mm thread lenses. I won't be surprised if I own a 77 mm lens six months down the road. E.g. Buying a 77 mm circular polarizer and using a stepdown on a 52 mm will look kind of silly right? Does anybody do that?

Some filters are very expensive. Buying three pieces can easily add up to $500. It doesn't make any economic sense either.

Any sharing of experience or comments will be appreciated.

I use 77mm filters together with a 67 -77mm step-up ring. D70? :D

Generally you'd do it for your PLs, cos it's crazy to own one size for every different len thread you have.

For UV filters, you can stick to the designated size, for PLs you can step up. It's perfectly normal :)

For filters like UV/Skylight filter that you use for protecting the lens front element, get one for every lens that you have.

For other filters or diopters where you won't have on all the time like polariser/close-up filter etc probably better to get the biggest size thread out of lenses you have or plan to get and then use step down rings.

Ah. Now it makes sense. Thanks guys. I guess for anything besides UV filters, it's best to buy at 77 mm.

One thing about the close-up filters. Wouldn't it have adverse effects if you stick a 77 mm on a 52 mm lens? It's convex and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.