Filter glass rotating when wiped with microfibre cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

song

Feb 23, 2002
homex.coolconnect.com
Hi friends,

I need technical advise. I have a UV filter which i always clean after a day of shooting. Normally, when i wipe, the filter glass will not rotate.

However, recently, the glass starts to rotate during wiping motion. It is loose. How can i tighted the clamping ring? I see a thin ring at the edge with a flat line groove. Is this the ring to tighten? How to do it without damping the filter glass?

Or is the filter spoilted?

please help
song

Why do you need to wipe your filter after each shooting? I don't even need a blower for dust and I'm outdoor most of the time. Be a bit more careful and stop wiping your filter like that. You won't notice any dust on filters later in your pictures (unless it's forming already a civilization).

Why wipe when it is not neccessary? Even there is dust, just blow it off will do. Frequent wiping will wear of the multi-coating on the filter.

There is no way to tighten it. Just live with it or use glue to fix it.

water stains on filter will not appear on the pic? how come dirty filter would not affect pic quality ? I thought the surface of the filter is very important and that is why we are buying premium multicoated filters. Please educate

Please read! Use Google and you'll find hundreds of pages.
Dust will not appear in the images, as long as it's not forming a full layer. So you don't need to worry about a few dust particles. Blow them away, leave them - no difference.
The multi-coating is to prevent reflections. Since the filter is a plain surface it is prone to create reflections that appear in the image as ghosting later. In addition, manufacturer also try to make surfaces less sticky for dust and dirt. B+W hits the target, filter cleaning is easy and doesn't need much efforts. Hoya fails badly, cleaning their UV filters is PITA.
But the main question is: why do you need to rub your filters always? Be more careful to avoid stains. Also, dry rubbing with your microfiber cloth is a good chance to create scratches. Dust particles might be small but can be very hard. Dried water stains can contain a lot of dust. if you get stains then remove them ASAP, don't let them dry.
Something to read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cleaning.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.