film users - have you encountered this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Jan 28, 2003
near e4
Visit site
recently, i noticed that for some of my photos, there are white spots/streaks on them. checking the negatives reveals that these are also present on the negatives.

any comments??
thanx

Was your lens dusty? I encountered such things before and the white specks (for me) were due to dust on my lens. sigh, lazy me, forgot to dust my lens before shooting.

Depending on how they actually look like. Can you post an example for us to examine?

i do not have a digital image now and can only get it scanned on mon. i also do not have a host for posting my pictures. mind giving me your email address? if no, kindly PM it to me. i will send the scanned picture and post it to you.

thanx a lot.

Originally posted by iceman
i do not have a digital image now and can only get it scanned on mon. i also do not have a host for posting my pictures. mind giving me your email address? if no, kindly PM it to me. i will send the scanned picture and post it to you.

thanx a lot.

you can use pbase or any other free web-hosting sites (even yahoo.com).

Just post the link here.

i had that encounter before with my nikon F65 ... there white spots on the photos and neg ... later sent the body for service (under warranty) ... returned with the problem solved ... and was told tat there isnt any wrong with the body, mirror etc ... no cleaning or wat so ever was done :dunno:

The whitespots could be dust in the camera that had attached itself to to film surface blocking light and hence, causing white spots on negatives or black spots on slides.

Streaks may be caused by scratching the film surface. This may be due to again, dust on the film pressure plate or the pressure plate being not smooth. Scratches may also be the fault of the lab processing the film. Check the film surface carefully to see if they are scratches. Check also to see which side are the scratch then you would know if the scratch had came from the pressure plate. BTW, I had a GR1 a few years back that scratch slides but not negatives, returned it for another one.

Sometimes, it is the film emulsion itself that is at fault. I had experiences of blobs of black on Provia 100F before.

Note that dust on the lens will never show up on film. No lens is ever that close focussing!! A really dusty lens will only have a lower contrast as it will be more prone to internal reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.