Film SLR dying.... sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, a dedicated film user!

OT a bit...

Halfmoon, u interested in getting my Elan 7 (EOS 33)? I have one for sale. Selling it cheap. Excellent condition. Ok will PM u. ;)

kex said:
film is still very much alive in many other parts of the world !

dun worry too much !

Which part of the world may I ask here? Third world country?:dunno: Sorry dude, me really don't know.:think:

film will never die.
just like rock will never die.
simple as ABC...

David said:

OT a bit...

Halfmoon, u interested in getting my Elan 7 (EOS 33)? I have one for sale. Selling it cheap. Excellent condition. Ok will PM u. ;)

Hi David,

Thank you for your offer. ;)

For now... too poor to jump into digital... just kidding....

freebsd said:
film will never die.
just like rock will never die.
simple as ABC...

Don't say that too early my friend. Just joking ah.:embrass: No offence, bro.:)

David said:

OT a bit...

David, call me ok? Thanks. Your PM is full.

Films are just like casette tape nowadays. Soon it will take over by CD/DVD as technology advances. Really sad...indeed.:(

PS: It might take another 3-5 yrs to see film really going downhill. I guest?:embrass:

Andy Ang said:
Not slides lor.
:)

May I know what's the cost to process a roll of slide film which not including any push/pull process to the film nowadays?:think:

Halfmoon said:
This one, I will not be able to confirm since I do not have DSLR... but I suspect DSLR more likely will be abused by owner than film, by snapping everything in sight, and more wear and tear.... ;p

With digital, u'll tend to be more trigger-happy.

Snoweagle said:
With digital, u'll tend to be more trigger-happy.

Yap... I believe so... and shutter life shorter....

Had a very sad experience today when I went for some window shopping....

Film SLR will be dying soon!!! :(

Spectrum said:
Films are just like casette tape nowadays. Soon it will take over by CD/DVD as technology advances. Really sad...indeed.:(

PS: It might take another 3-5 yrs to see film really going downhill. I guest?:embrass:

Wanna know how SAD the situation this is????

I went to Penisular plaza, and search through a few shops.... and very very few have film SLR... or body, pns etc.... At Funan... not a single film body seen in those shops I asked (randomly).......

The end of film seems to be very very near... nearer than expected... when FF hit the shelf... it will be a faster film death!

PnS... do not even need to ask... and most shops do not have much films for you to select... and only limited to usual fuji, kodak, 200, 400... 800 is not readily available everywhere...

Only those reseller/ 2nd hand shop do I see film body... and those price is very sad too.... imagine those HOT body. 1 series in the past... now, worth so little........ sigh.... EOS 1V at 1/2 price, slightly more....

Film will be even more expensive in future..... and processing, just as expensive....

Film still rules??? I really do not think it can hold out much longer.....

Well, think the digital edge is taking over film already since 2 yrs back.:(

Snoweagle said:
Not unless film users still continue to keep it alive! :)

Looking from a Businese point of view..
Film will either,
1. die.... like casstte tapes.... and even CDs with MP3 online....
2. niche market and cost a whole lot more.....

Filmers are decressing by the year as most simply JUMP to digital.

Lesser film user, cost increase for films as profit level drop for business.

Film users find it more expensive, and get digital, which will be more value for shots

Till a level when the demand is less than able to sustain the profit level of business group, company will no longer go through the hazzard and bring the films in..... next, die.....

Now, no one buy film PnS... the biggest film market segment previously.... and now, all digital...... a big chunck of profit making for them are lost, and film cost went up... it went down initally to fight digital, but that is not sustainable long term anyway...

Signs are not very positive.....

Spectrum said:
Well, think the digital edge is taking over film already since 2 yrs back.:(

It is... with cheaper DSLR.. it will be even faster!!!

Rumoured 400D, etc.... sad....:cry:

Halfmoon said:
Looking from a Businese point of view..
Film will either,
1. die.... like casstte tapes.... and even CDs with MP3 online....
2. niche market and cost a whole lot more.....

Filmers are decressing by the year as most simply JUMP to digital.

Lesser film user, cost increase for films as profit level drop for business.

Film users find it more expensive, and get digital, which will be more value for shots

Till a level when the demand is less than able to sustain the profit level of business group, company will no longer go through the hazzard and bring the films in..... next, die.....

Now, no one buy film PnS... the biggest film market segment previously.... and now, all digital...... a big chunck of profit making for them are lost, and film cost went up... it went down initally to fight digital, but that is not sustainable long term anyway...

Signs are not very positive.....

I agree. That's y for me, the high cost of printing and buying of films over time have made me switch to digital.

Now i can REALLY trigger-happy.

Not sure about SLRs, but I thought that rangefinders are possibly seeing a revival. Hope that film will at least remain around for this purpose.

ricohflex said:
Film cameras especially Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei (manual TLRs) (not the %$^* electronic 6000 series!) hold their value solidly.

Yes, I've noticed that too. The Leicas and Rolleis did take a beating initially but recently have gone back up to their pre digital prices.

However, I don't believe Hassy resale values have recovered but in fact have gone down even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.