fill flash on bright day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's getting overexposure because the camera enforces the X-sync speed instead of the metered speed.

lizzy -
Get either AF360 or AF540 for the so-called high speed sync (FP), alternatively, as others have suggested, get an ND filter.

In that case, the whole scene will be overexposed. If most of the scene is correctly exposed and the subject is overexposed, it is likely the flash exposure is off.

BC

In that case, the whole scene will be overexposed. If most of the scene is correctly exposed and the subject is overexposed, it is likely the flash exposure is off.

BC

Sorry I missed that post.
lizzy - could you post a few samples with EXIF data intact?

The super high sync speed on D70/D40 is due to the electronic shutter (CCD shutter) used. The mechanical shutter on D70 syncs at something around 1/125 (1/90 on N70 but D70 has 1.5x crop).
Generally speaking, the sync speed has nothing to do with mechanical or electronic shutter. Olympus dSLR cameras (probably some other barnd also) can sync up to 1/4000s in Super FP mode, where the flash emmits short bursts during the whole focal plane opening, to evenly light the sensor. This is one methode and it works fine. The only problem is that the flash range is reduced in that mode and that it can not be done with the built in flashes, it needs the expensive FL-36 or FL-50 flashes.

The other one is a classical, real FP flash (old type) where the flash is burning slowly and just before it reaches its peak the shutter opens. The flash in that case is burning at its peak the whole time the shutter is open.

There is a practical difference - you can kill the daylight with a compact flash and a camera with electronic shutter. The loss in max. flash exposure is the same as the reduction in ambient exposure, so FP doesn't help to raise the lighting ratio.

OT: I think the 1/500 limit on the built-in flash in D70/D40, and the lack of FP in SB600 are in part to protect the sale of their SB800...

There is a practical difference - you can kill the daylight with a compact flash and a camera with electronic shutter.

OT: I think the 1/500 limit on the built-in flash in D70/D40, and the lack of FP in SB600 are in part to protect the sale of their SB800...

SB-600 can do FP sync... I own one...

BC;)

Oooppss...did a search and it seems D50 and D70 don't support FP flash. Is this the case? :think:

Nope, no FP sync with D50 and D70. Only available for D80 and up.

BC

Nope, no FP sync with D50 and D70. Only available for D80 and up.

BC

I got the impression that SB600 doesn't do FP when I played with a friend's D70...
Then too bad iTTL is stuck below 1/500 on these good cameras, they could do much better than this.

I got the impression that SB600 doesn't do FP when I played with a friend's D70...
Then too bad iTTL is stuck below 1/500 on these good cameras, they could do much better than this.

Yup, but they have already done better....the D80 has everything... FP sync, full CLS, etc.

BC;)

Yup, but they have already done better....the D80 has everything... FP sync, full CLS, etc.

BC;)

No more cheap "kill the sun" trick though... I think we're getting pretty far OT.
TS and lizzy should just read up to the 2nd floor... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.