[Feature Discussion] Focus Point Locking on D40/D40X/D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrylim

Mar 30, 2004
North
henrylim.net
Hi guys,

I usually perform focusing using the "focus lock using centre focus area + recompose" as I find it nimble and predictable. Recently I bought a D60 and I was wondering why Nikon did not provide a Focus Area Locking feature on other bodies.

With the extensive use of the 4-way direction keypad, it was very easy to mis-shift the focus area (there are 3 focus area points: left,centre,right) from centre to left or right simply by mis-pressing the direction key when navigating aroun the menu. Even sometimes the nose pressing on the 4-way controller key keypad may cause the area to shift.

Sometimes I found myself quick "whipping" up the camera and trying to focus to shoot, only to find the focus area has shifted from centre to left or right, causing mis-focusing and even missing the shot. It's like doing "IA" drills on M16... hahahaa....

I would like to check if any other nikon owner of D40/40X/60 have the same practice and hence possibly the same "pain point" as me?

Thanks! :)

when i was still using the D40, that was one of the biggest irritations for me, the nose pressing on the keypad and changing the focus point accidentally. I'm also a fan of focus-and-recompose way of shooting so that's one of my major pet peeves with the D40.

They should make a keypad lock on it like the D70/D80 so that this doesn't happen, or at least make the keypad much harder to press.

So the only way to avoid is to consciously make sure yr nose don't press too hard against the cam and always look at the active AF point before fully depressing the shutter button.

If you think that letting the camera decide which subject you are focusing on then it might be easier. Change your AF settings accordingly to let the camera take over. I have a D80, i never had a problem with using the dynamic focus area setting, but 11 focus points definitely help though.

D80 don't have this problem. You can use the "L" lock next to the multidirection keypad on the camera's back to lock your focus area point.

If you think that letting the camera decide which subject you are focusing on then it might be easier. Change your AF settings accordingly to let the camera take over. I have a D80, i never had a problem with using the dynamic focus area setting, but 11 focus points definitely help though.

I think you missed the TS question altogether lah. ;)

D80 don't have this problem. You can use the "L" lock next to the multidirection keypad on the camera's back to lock your focus area point.

with the D80, the keypad is so hard to press, even if u dun lock it, it's also okay. it's the d40 keypad that is too easy to press, which results in the AF points being changed by your nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.