Faulty Shutter Release Button (EOS xxD series)

Were you affected by the shutter release button failure on the xxD series?

Results are only viewable after voting.

The shutter release button still working fine, I only replaced the faulty shutter (not release button) at about 170,000. Canon 20D is a reliable camera to me.

Cheers!

nice. i hope my 50D will give me that kinda shutter performance. :thumbsup:

A friend passed me a 40D with a similar problem. Switch cleaned and it worked.

DSC_000205480002.jpg

YES, I experienced shutter button problems on both 300D and 10D.
and I always thought it was only affecting my cameras, didnt realised
its a wide problem...

Interestingly, my old film cameras with lots of mileage NEVER encounter
this problem

I'm up to 40K shutter count and haven't encountered this problem yet, but maybe it's because I taped over the shutter with electrical tape? =D i like the 1DII's shutter button because it's "squishy" and the 50D is "clicky" and taping it over makes it closer to that of a 1 series (electromagnet release)

Maybe the DIY technician is a technician from canon? Or he is self-taught?

Since this fault is covered by warranty, I don't think it's a big issue. Especially in 1 year of usage, you would have clocked alot of shutter clicks.

Maybe the DIY technician is a technician from canon? Or he is self-taught?

Since this fault is covered by warranty, I don't think it's a big issue. Especially in 1 year of usage, you would have clocked alot of shutter clicks.

Shutter button failure is not covered under warranty. Canon considers it as wear and tear.
One simple trick is to massage the button gently but for an intensive period. It worked for me. The problem hasn't surface itself since then.

Hi,
The shutter button not cover by warranty?? Hmm... I recently brought an used Canon 40D and I realised the shutter button wasn't sensitive... you need to press a bit hard to trigger the shot, so I send in to CSC for repair since it's still under warranty. CSC replace the shutter button and some non-original sponge for free.

Have a nice day.

Hi,
The shutter button not cover by warranty?? Hmm... I recently brought an used Canon 40D and I realised the shutter button wasn't sensitive... you need to press a bit hard to trigger the shot, so I send in to CSC for repair since it's still under warranty. CSC replace the shutter button and some non-original sponge for free.

Have a nice day.

Well, seems like they "Acknowledge" it to be under mechanical failure now. Trust me, before this, they didn't entertain shutter button failure.

Good for you and keep on shooting. :)

My 50d having same problem, tml maybe going down may i know do you have to wait for days to collect or same day collection?

@fatigue - that's hardcore!

I'm also in the same boat with my 40D -- acted up during my honeymoon (together with the IS assembly of my 17-55)... hope the 'massage' method will work when I bring it to SG...

@fatigue - that's hardcore!

I'm also in the same boat with my 40D -- acted up during my honeymoon (together with the IS assembly of my 17-55)... hope the 'massage' method will work when I bring it to SG...

Thanks.

I have seen some cases wherein the switch internals ( the 2 round thin metal plates) are damaged. Maybe the owner often pressed the shutter release too hard

DSC_000205480002.jpg

So it happened to my 40D again. My 30D had the same issue. This is disappointing.

happend to my 450D. tried repairing myself.
broken 2 ribbon cables even before i got to the shutter button.

had numerous electric shock due to residual charge left in capacitors meant for flash (they are not covered!!)

put back everything together, not only my shutter button not working, 2 more buttons not working, and flash not working also -_-