10. ParamPita
11. eileenksj
12. pegasus1010
13. kennyevan
14. iankwa
15. LTG
16. nikkie
17. faisalee
18. LordMonkey - only if the course date is between 30th September - 11 October 2008
18. swishbrade
19. Arcfire
20. Limdj
21. Crabby - Due to my job nature(random schedule), can only let you know if I can make it after the course date is set
22. PhotoSnapper
23. hanqiang1011
24. tutantomb (depending on course date)
25. ngck12 (pmed u)
26. vee5 - (depending on course date)
27. Martin Ywain - only after Oct 14
28. Eco
29. tempdan (weekend only)
30. Daofoo
31. irorus (dependant on course date but I really really hope I can make it)

1. Canonised
2. focus627
3. wootsk
4. hlyeoh
5. cosycatus
6. GeneKoh
7. LeaderXXX
8. mummum
9. Nicholas
10. ParamPita
11. eileenksj
12. pegasus1010
13. kennyevan
14. iankwa
15. LTG
16. nikkie
17. faisalee
18. LordMonkey - only if the course date is between 30th September - 11 October 2008
18. swishbrade
19. Arcfire
20. Limdj
21. Crabby - Due to my job nature(random schedule), can only let you know if I can make it after the course date is set
22. PhotoSnapper
23. hanqiang1011
25. ngck12 (pmed u)
28. Eco
30. Daofoo
32. jlkk76 (count me in, but nn to noe date)

1. Canonised
2. focus627
3. wootsk
4. hlyeoh
5. cosycatus
6. GeneKoh
7. LeaderXXX
8. mummum
9. Nicholas
10. ParamPita
11. eileenksj
12. pegasus1010
13. kennyevan
14. iankwa
15. LTG
16. nikkie
17. faisalee
18. swishbrade
19. Arcfire
20. Limdj
22. PhotoSnapper
23. hanqiang1011
25. ngck12 (pmed u)
28. Eco
30. Daofoo
33. Paradigm

1. Canonised
2. focus627
3. wootsk
4. hlyeoh
5. cosycatus
6. GeneKoh
7. LeaderXXX
8. mummum
9. Nicholas
10. ParamPita
11. eileenksj
12. pegasus1010
13. kennyevan
14. iankwa
15. LTG
16. nikkie
17. faisalee
18. swishbrade
19. Arcfire
20. Limdj
22. PhotoSnapper
23. hanqiang1011
25. ngck12 (pmed u)
28. Eco
30. Daofoo
33. Paradigm
34. mckenzy

1. Canonised
2. focus627
3. wootsk
4. hlyeoh
5. cosycatus
6. GeneKoh
7. LeaderXXX
8. mummum
9. Nicholas
10. ParamPita
11. eileenksj
12. pegasus1010
13. kennyevan
14. iankwa
15. LTG
16. nikkie
17. faisalee
18. swishbrade
19. Arcfire
20. Limdj
22. PhotoSnapper
23. hanqiang1011
25. ngck12 (pmed u)
28. Eco
30. Daofoo
33. Paradigm
34. mckenzy
35. BlackCloud (depending on course date)

Hi all,
After weeks of preparation. Finally the first course is done. My personal thoughts on this...
A lot of knowledge was taught, on how to maintain lenses, changing of focusing screen, opening and cleaning of lenses. But not many managed to try cleaning their lens, due to the bros not having the 50mm, 18-70mm and 18-200mm, or because they were clean and do not need to be cleaned. And I was slightly disappointed, because the knowledge may had been taught but it was not necessarily absorbed. For the next course, the material as going to be the same but we will limit to basic lens cleaning again. And "difficult to explain" topics such as changing of focusing screen will not be taught.

There was good engagement in class, with the more experienced bros talking and sharing about their experience.

If you are one of the pioneers whom had attended the course, please let us know your feedback and let those interested to know whether this is the correct course.

Canon fans, I am afraid to disappoint you here. We had reached the conclusion that Canon lens are expensive and in a class settings, anything can happen to the lens and we do not want mishaps to happen to those lens in class. So we will have to postpone the classes until much later. Unless some Canon fans can give some suggestions for course material.

Lastly, if you are an Nikon fan and is interested for next course, please email me your details:
Name:
Mobile:
Email :
Nikon/ Canon/ others

Due to the large number of emails, I am afraid that I will not be able to reply to everyone. Thanks...

Regards
Chee Wei

Big thanks to Chee Wei (the organizer) and David (the expert) for the class. It was a good session, and I personally learnt quite a few things ... not the least the fact that to be good at disassembling, cleaning and reassembling a complex lens takes a lot of practice, something that cannot be covered in several hours. I have to admire David's dedication to his craft, and thank him for his willingness to share.

Since this was the first session, and the organizers were trying to help as many as possible, things were not that focused (!) at the start, but as Chee Wei has mentioned, future classes will be tighter with the lessons learnt.

And please do join the class, you will learn many key things which will prevent expensive mistakes. Even if you decide you don't want to clean your own lens, you will understand what others are doing to your lenses when you send them in for cleaning.

Once again, thanks, David and Chee Wei !

Just sharing my humble opinions from the pioneer course:

1. What it is:

A course to equip the participants with knowledge on DIY camera maintenance, like general cleaning, cleaning CCD, changing focusing screen. David and Chee Wei shared lots of experience they had with taking care of the equipment. Remember: If it doesn't need fixing, don't fix it!

For the lens cleaning portion, popular lenses (like AFD 50mm F/1.8 China version), 18-70 and 18-200 were covered. These lenses were selected as there were more popular, I'd guess. Hands-on session (with the printed guides) would make the participants more confident to take apart their dirty lenses to clean DIY.

2. What it is not:

A session to consolidate all dusty/fungus-infected lenses, and get them cleaned. Not that I've seen anyone doing that, but as it is a group session, both David and Chee Wei tried to choose topics that would be applicable and beneficial to everyone. I'd guess if there are too many lenses to clean, it's better off to send them to David, and perhaps keep one lens which is covered in the gudies and just DIY clean that lens. Furthermore, some of the lenses are more complicated in design, and it could be too difficult for David to ID and give a step-by-step disassembly on the spot.

I personally had no fungus-infected lenses, but attended the session. I

3. Thanks to:

David. His willingness to share, and his effort to put together the course notes for us. The tips and low-cost alternatives are very beneficial.

Chee Wei. For making this session possible, and being the "watchdog" and timekeeper to bring us back on track whenever we "drifted".

The participants, FT, Ben, and all. You guys shared valuable knowledge from your field of expertise, and I've learnt many new things.

4. To summarise: (IMHO) The topic on changing focusing screen can be ommitted. In fact, I'd think we would face the need to clean the CCD more often than replacing focusing screen.

I'd think Chee Wei & David could still run the lens cleaning session, just focusing on lens cleaning. The participants could come together on the condition that they have the same lens model to clean. David can then prepare the notes pertaining to that lens only. In this way, the class would be more focused, and time spent would be meaningful. The participants would feel more accomplished, having to clean the lenses entirely themselves!

Good workshop which I strongly recommend for those bros who like DIY. We learnt how to prevent Fungal in optical instructments, disassemble fixed focus lens, cleanning CCD , replacing focusing screen etc.. which are very useful as 1 day we may need the skill to DIY.

Special Thanks to Chee Wei for organising it and Fatigue(David) to share his knowledge and expertise in maintaining SLR and Lens. His solution and tools to use etc are hard to find elsewhere locally.

Things to improve.
1. The course is too short and it need at least a day or two to accomplish all.
2. Some spare lens for the hands or else I don't think bros in the class will benefit out from it
3. The lighting of the room is too dim and we might need video cam to zoom in and show the rest of the bros in the room while David is disassemble the lens.

As a whole, it was a great session to lean and know each others. May be we should consider organising some outing and sharing our experiences with others on their cleaning encounter and experience

Just my 2 cents

FT

Hi Chee Wei & David, any approximate scheduled date for the course for Canon users? :)

Hi Chee Wei & David

I sign up for the class, but i was not inform of the classes. When is the next class.

Please contact me at 96705712 or PM me..

Nicholas wee

Hi guys,

I think there's some confusion, as the thread is getting long. I'll try to summarize:

1) The first class took place on Oct 11. It was filled very quickly. It only covered Nikon equipment.

2) The sign up list is for future courses. Chee Wei will contact you if there is one. I think a lot of people think the list is for the first course.

3) The response for the first course was overwhelming. So if you did not get a response from Chee Wei, it’s because the 1st class was full, and CW and David was busy preparing for the first course. Please don’t take it personally.

3) A lot of Canon fans requested learning on "L" lenses. These lenses are very expensive and risky in a class environment. Thus Canon course will be on hold until there are sufficient request for "cheaper" lenses. Feel free to let Chee Wei know which lenses you would like to cover.

I think I summarized it as best as I can. Feel free to comment if I made a mistake.

Hi all, I was at reservist and had very little time to update in this thread. We are currently planning for the next course. If you are interested in the next course, please send me your details NOW via PM. Canon fans will have to wait, the lenses that you have are quite expensive and it would be better to let professional to clean it instead of you doing it yourself. Knowing a little bit is more dangerous than knowing nothing. In short, we are just not ready to start the course for Canon fans.

Hi all, I was at reservist and had very little time to update in this thread. We are currently planning for the next course. If you are interested in the next course, please send me your details NOW via PM. Canon fans will have to wait, the lenses that you have are quite expensive and it would be better to let professional to clean it instead of you doing it yourself. Knowing a little bit is more dangerous than knowing nothing. In short, we are just not ready to start the course for Canon fans.

Just PM you, very interested in the class....

will the lessons learned apply to other types of lenses as well? like manual lenses..

Hi, I pm'd a while back to indicate my interest in the course. Any update as to when it will be conducted again? tks!

Can someone please tell me when we can start the canon lens cleaning course??? This possible canon lens cleaning course have been going for very long (FYI, I am the third guy in the list, thats how long I have waited). Who care if it is L lens or normal canon lens. Just put the warning, attend course with your expensive Lens at your own risk and put a list of possible Lens able to be brought to attend the class will do. So those guy who want to bring their L lens will understand the risk they have to take if they want to clean their own L lens in course. This course is for knowledge, attempting to clean by yourself is always a risk.

Btw Chee Wei, the Lens I want to try out with is canon 50mm f1.4 USM :D

Can someone please tell me when we can start the canon lens cleaning course??? This possible canon lens cleaning course have been going for very long (FYI, I am the third guy in the list, thats how long I have waited). Who care if it is L lens or normal canon lens. Just put the warning, attend course with your expensive Lens at your own risk and put a list of possible Lens able to be brought to attend the class will do. So those guy who want to bring their L lens will understand the risk they have to take if they want to clean their own L lens in course. This course is for knowledge, attempting to clean by yourself is always a risk.

Haha, i'm the 4th guy on the list and still awaiting, def not going to tear apart and risk my L lens and understand the risk involved, its probably more for knowledge purposes, maybe can clean the 50mm F1.8 instead which is about SGD$100 2nd hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.