Faster AF with Panasonic GF5, just announced

slow abit or fast abit is not an issue, the worst thing which i cannot accept is no IBIS for Panasonic body.

i shoot prime lens alot which lens itself does not have any stabilizer, hence only can depend on Camera IBIS.

at some very low light condition, even using F1.8 and boosting ISO to 1600/3200, the speed can still be 1/10s or slower.
at that moment, you will wish to have a IBIS to prevent handshake.

From DPreview these features looks interesting.

"The noise reduction system includes a combination 3DNR (3D Noise Reduction) and MNR (Multi-process Noise Reduction) allowing for both bright areas and dark areas to be faithfully reproduced with minimal noise in high sensitivity image recording."

"A preview of filter effects can be seen on the large LCD screen via Live View mode and the camera intuitively recommends filters depending on the scene that the camera detects in iA (Intelligent Auto) or iA Plus mode."

slow abit or fast abit is not an issue, the worst thing which i cannot accept is no IBIS for Panasonic body.

i shoot prime lens alot which lens itself does not have any stabilizer, hence only can depend on Camera IBIS.

at some very low light condition, even using F1.8 and boosting ISO to 1600/3200, the speed can still be 1/10s or slower.

... Has it occurred to you that you shouldn't even be bothering to shoot any photographs at such low light conditions without a tripod even if you have IBIS?

Photographs are not "die die must take". If you cannot even get a reasonable shot, don't bother. Never mind that at such atrocious light conditions, no amount of PP is going to rescue the photograph what with the incredibly dull tones etc. Your camera will only be able to record so much data before it starts spilling crap. If lighting is poor, your skin tones, colors will just look like crap and no amount of length of exposure will help.

Last edited:
... Has it occurred to you that you shouldn't even be bothering to shoot any photographs at such low light conditions without a tripod even if you have IBIS?

Photographs are not "die die must take". If you cannot even get a reasonable shot, don't bother. Never mind that at such atrocious light conditions, no amount of PP is going to rescue the photograph what with the incredibly dull tones etc. Your camera will only be able to record so much data before it starts spilling crap. If lighting is poor, your skin tones, colors will just look like crap and no amount of length of exposure will help.

firstly, in some situation, it does not allow you to use tripod. Secondly, not necessary must shot skin tones, it can other things.
not all people will pp, some just take impt moments, which they hope not to get blur pics.

firstly, in some situation, it does not allow you to use tripod. Secondly, not necessary must shot skin tones, it can other things.
not all people will pp, some just take impt moments, which they hope not to get blur pics.

I tend to agree. There will be places where neither flash nor tripod is allowed, but the lighting is very dim. Prime examples are places of worship (cathedrals and churches in Europe, temples in Asia), museums or the streets at night. At these places, even f/1.4 feels slow.

I tend to agree. There will be places where neither flash nor tripod is allowed, but the lighting is very dim. Prime examples are places of worship (cathedrals and churches in Europe, temples in Asia), museums or the streets at night. At these places, even f/1.4 feels slow.

exactly you know what I meant.

Last edited:
jamestan75 said:
exactly you know what I meant.

5dmkiii la. No tripod needed. Even some lousy old-school piece of mirror lens also can shoot at night one... Hahaha

Sispecho said:
5dmkiii la. No tripod needed. Even some lousy old-school piece of mirror lens also can shoot at night one... Hahaha

D800 better at high iso :)

D800 better at high iso :)

Thought OM-D is even better than D800 at higher ISO ;p Oh yeah, OM-D is the "best" camera right now, can't say any bad words about it, like what's happening at DPR :bsmilie:

Why gf5 not gf4 after gf3??

anyway omd is the "best". Haha. ;p

Thought OM-D is even better than D800 at higher ISO ;p Oh yeah, OM-D is the "best" camera right now, can't say any bad words about it, like what's happening at DPR :bsmilie:

You mean E-M5, surely. It's a step forward. Too bad that the ISO sensitivity rating is so buggered. It would be nice to see the numbers match and then, see the results.

12 Megapixels? Hmmm.....

It is their budget body and it is supposedly an enhanced sensor, similar to the 16 MP sensor they make. For all we know, they're 16 MP sensors that failed to have 16.x MP available, but 12.x MP are there and working.

just accept the fact that it will almost never happen to Panasonic. they never had IBIS since 4/3 and they are developing lenses with OIS. it's a different strategy for PAny and you'll just have to choose Oly if you want IBIS.

just accept the fact that it will almost never happen to Panasonic. they never had IBIS since 4/3 and they are developing lenses with OIS. it's a different strategy for PAny and you'll just have to choose Oly if you want IBIS.

yes, hence i know that too, hence i never choose a panasonic camera, but i must say their lens are good eg 20mm F1.7.

swee will hoot this instead of the gf3 lol ,