Fast battery discharge on 10D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genegoh

Mar 20, 2006
Simei
www.photosbymarbles.com
Hi all,

I went for a casual shoot with my 10D with grip. I brought 2 OEM batteries, one of which was fully charged, the other wasn't used very much to start with. Both batteries are very new, less than 2 months old and been used less than 3 times.
Both batteries only lasted for about 10 hours, casual shooting, less than 200 shots. My friend's 30D without grip with partially used original battery lasted the whole day without any change of battery.
My 10D was set to 4 min power save mode.
How come my new OEM batteries with supposedly higher capacity get discharged so much faster than the original one? Is there a problem with them?
Does the battery grip take up more battery when used?

Thanks for all your help in advance! :sweat:

Did u keep viewing the LCD? LCD is a power sucker.
I used to have a 10D and uses OEM batteries. It can last for 500shots.

James

I have the same problem for both OEM and original.

Use less LCD view. It should last you longer.

Cheers

Thanks guys.
My LCD view is abt 4 seconds only. My friend's settings also ard there. Don't see why there's such a great difference.
Does the lens used play a part?

I also have 1 original and 1 OEM but never really took note of how many hrs it lasted as it came with my 10D which was bought 2nd hand. But one thing for sure it can last for more than 500 shots with previewing of pics.

My new Eastgear ones are of cos longer lasting, which can take close to 1000 shots.

In both cases, all are used together with grip, fully charged, previewing of pics after every shot, auto shut off at 2mins, taken at ISO 400, and f/4.

i dunnoe if it's the oem batts consistency in quality.

My bp511 lasts about 600 shots each. my bp511a lasts about 800.

but my oem bp511 also last about 200 shots only. :(

Hmm... my batteries are from eastgear. The lenses I used do not have IS.
Could it be that I got a lousy batch of eastgear batteries?

my bp511 from eg too. however, mabbe i bad luck, cuz most here use also no prob.

u should compare 10D to 10D if u are checking the batteries.

30D is using a digic 2 processor which is more energy saving.

Ah... that seems to answer my question. If the DIGIC II processor takes up less power, then it explains. Will swap batteries with my friend next time to try.
Thanks for all the help guys!

my batt performance is consistant in both 10D and 30D. :think:

I'm also using eastgear and do not have IS lenses. Performance is great!!

I'm also using eastgear and do not have IS lenses. Performance is great!!
Because you have got a good copy of the camera. ;p

how long ago were the batteries charged? batteries don't keep charges for long periods.

Can't remember... maybe a few weeks. Will try again next time.
But 2 batteries to last less than 200 shots is a bit pathetic, dun u think?

The 10D definitely drains juice faster than later models such as the 20D and 30D. Cannot compare. I'm still amazed at the battery life of my 20D. I used to carry around 6-8 spare batteries on my holidays (apart from the 2 batteries in my battery grip) when I was using the 10D. Nowadays, 2 batteries can last the whole day on the 20D, and I never have to use the spares.

Measure how long it takes to fully charge each battery, and record it (preferably on a small sticker on the battery itself. Then use each battery to take shots, and record how many shots it can take before dying. Write it down on the sticker as well. Unfortunately there's no "meter" on the battery, so this is the only way to keep track. Note that if you're shooting in a very cold place, the battery life will be affected as well.

If it charges up very quickly and dies very quickly, it's time to replace the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.