fashion photographer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetylcholine

Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
there is this super annoying radio ad on mediacorp featuring this so called fashion photographer wee kim. not sure if he really exists or not.

honestly i feel this guy isnt anywhere near professional. i feel that as a professional photographer, he shld be neutral and not go ard promoting canon as his choice of camera and selling the digic chip that canon uses

everytime he sounds like as if he knows everything, the way he talks, choice of words is extremely annoying! :angry:

i am not afraid to say because of this ad i dismiss canon as a manufacturer
at least nikon does not resort to this kind of shameless ad

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

acetylcholine said:
there is this super annoying radio ad on mediacorp featuring this so called fashion photographer wee kim. not sure if he really exists or not.

honestly i feel this guy isnt anywhere near professional. i feel that as a professional photographer, he shld be neutral and not go ard promoting canon as his choice of camera and selling the digic chip that canon uses

everytime he sounds like as if he knows everything, the way he talks, choice of words is extremely annoying! :angry:

Yes Wee Khim does exist. U can see his works at Her World, 8 Days..etc

Well I didnt hear what he said, but i am sure what he said is his opinion. As long as Canon is his choice of camera. Very likely Canon sponsors him and if that is the case, he has to promote Canon.

I agree with Jeff49er on this.

Sometimes, Radio interviews have this kind of talk one. I heard it one time when I was doing my NS and I called up Class 95 why were they saying this thing about Microsoft like dunno how many times. Like you it is annoying, but after calling up the radio station to ask, I know why they do this.

For situations like this, wouldn't you do the same thing if you were a professional photographer and Nikon supports you with dunno how many professional DSLRs and top of the line lenses? I think in the same way, Wee Kim is doing the same thing for canon. Knowing that photography equipment is so expensive, he is giving support to the company that is supporting him in his profession. Depending how you want to look at it, I would say that this is totally ethical for someone to do this sort of thing online. And he is talking about his experience from using such equipment lah.

People would say the same thing about Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad, Contax and so on and so forth if the same thing happens again.

acetylcholine said:

Well, wee kim is quite famous. go canon.com.sg to check out his canon story. he's sponsored by canon, and hence has an obligation to endorse any canon product/advert. if u'r sponsored by nikon to do the same, will u turn away?

its all about market share and $$$$ in the end. in truth, i'm quite annoyed with the digic advert, the one with the music one, with something like other processor is this music (slow etc), then digic is this (fast nice). but i suppose their marketing works, now I have 4 canons.

if A pay another B $$$$$$$$ request B to say something nice about their's product, i believe definately B will do it.
Just replace your situation with wee kim, you should able to understand his situation. ;)

So are you saying that Steve Mccurry should not advertise for Sony?
He's a professional rite?

acetylcholine

Where have you been? Wee Khim is one of the better known photographer in Singapore. He shoot regularly for NewMan.

And I see nothing wrong in him advertising or talk about Canon. It's a case of "you scratch my back, I scratch yours"

Canon's marketing strategy is much more aggressive than Nikon, so that is why you encounter more of Canon's ad than Nikon's.

wee khim shot jazreel low's sexy calendar years ago. he's quite a well known photographer in sg.

acetylcholine said:

wee kim is a very good and famous photographer and is sponsored by Canon. Of course he has every rights to promote Canon in any way he wants, and you have every rights not to listen to the ads everytime it is on radio (this is what i'll do, juz press another button everytime i start to hear his voice).
Anyway, i nvr enjoy listening to all those ads (except maybe for a few creative ones) but i do understand the need for these ads incomes.

So dont be angry, not healthy.... be happy!

Wee Kim is also known (perhaps by less pple) for cat photography. And yes, he is good. We all have our own likes and dislikes. If you do not like to listen, you can always turn off that advert - therein lie your freedom of choice in dictating how you live.

I was listening to the radio this morning. The way he commented on the advantage of Digic processor sounds so funny to me. Although I am a great supporter of Canon, I won't make a sweeping comment which might be misleading to the general public. "If the processor is not fast enough, then the buffer cannot be cleared quickly so you cannot take a consequent shot" !?!?!

u guys forgot to mention Russell Wong..

so geoff ang is sponsored by olympus and he's supposed to promote the e-1

does that make him a crap photographer ?

acetylcholine said:

You don't know Wee Kim meh?

Which country are you from? :)

Regards,
Sion (from Sydney)

I think you all should give this guy (acetylcholine) a break, maybe he really does not know who is Wee Khim. :)

Twilo said:
You dont know Wee Khim? Heard of Jessica Soo? Her husband lah.

if he hasn't heard of wee khim, i doubt he has heard of jessica soo. :think:

Hmmmm..... I heard of Wee Kim ........ quite a famous photographer ..... don't see anything wrong with him promoting canon. Logically, that is his favourite camera. He like it, so he is spreading the news..... what's wrong with that?

Everyone is entitled to his / her own view. I am quite sure as a professional, he can promote Canon. But giving him a Leica, Minolta, Nikon, he can work wonders as well.

for a period of time I think he was the host of some show....... gotcha or something.. but pretty stony his presentation kekekek

tomshen said:
I was listening to the radio this morning. The way he commented on the advantage of Digic processor sounds so funny to me. Although I am a great supporter of Canon, I won't make a sweeping comment which might be misleading to the general public. "If the processor is not fast enough, then the buffer cannot be cleared quickly so you cannot take a consequent shot" !?!?!

Fully agreed with you. For those ppl experienced with digicam, we know he is tokin elementary knowledge but for many others, "If the processor is not fast enough, then the buffer cannot be cleared quickly so you cannot take a consequent shot" it sounds very professional and intellectual. That's the whole point, making it sounds so pro.
Anyway i think Canon cams shd stick to print ads instead of radio since photog is related to eyes and not ears! everytime i hear this ad, i change channel ... sounds so depressing to mi ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.