FAQ to all the usual FAQs about nikon stuff

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
since searching for the usual answers to the usual questions are hard to do, and the manuals provided with our thousand dollar toys are equally hard to read, i think i will start a FAQ on FAQs here in nikon.

feel free to contribute on anything that i missed out, and please take this seriously? if u can provide links to support your answers, that would be much appreciated too. :)

just cut and paste the questions as you go along.

-oOo-​

1) Can my D40/40x/60/5000 support non-AFS lenses?
Ans: Yes, provided the lens in question (third party or otherwise) have a built-in AF motor. You have to (a)read the lens specs or (b)ask the shop people if the lens has it or not. Alternatively, pls read your manuals (usually under the accessories pages) on what nikon-branded lenses are to AF/not AF on these cameras.

2) What are DX lenses? Can I use them on FX cameras (d700/d3/d3x)?
Read this (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411772) on what are DX lenses. You can use DX lenses on FX cameras if you don't mind (a)either cropping away some resolution, or (b)dark circles around your pics. You can tell if the lens is DX or not by looking for the word "DX" on the nikon lens... not too difficult, right? For third-party lenses, usually they are nice enough to print "For APS-C cameras only", somewhere on the box.

3) Can I use FX lenses on DX cameras?
Yes you can. Provided you don't mind loosing a little wideness in exchange for a little more tele.

4) Har? Why?
Crop factor. Read this (http://digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained). Just remember to multiple 1.5 to any FX lenses if you mount them on your DX cameras. DX lenses have already factored in the crop factor during the lens construction.

5) What do all those letters on the lens mean?
Read the link on (2).

6) Are "Made-in-Japan" lenses better than "Made-in-China" or "Made-in-Thailand" lenses?
If it makes you a better photographer or feel better, yup. AFAIK, most people don't care, so long as it takes pics.

7) Which is a better camera? (_____) vs (_____) [fill in your own brands]
If it makes you feel better, get the most expensive one that your wallet can tahan. If you really want to compare, down to the last screw, try www.dpreview.com They have a very useful cam vs cam comparison function.

8) Which lens/camera should I buy for (_________)? [fill in your own function/situation]
See answer (7). If you are really dying to know, learn from the pros at www.dtowntv.com (Episodes 16-20 are dedicated to what they use for various occasions) If it is good enough for Scott Kelby, it should be good enough for you.

9) Should I buy a FF camera?
Read this (http://www.bythom.com/d3ord300.htm).

Last edited:
4) Har? Why?
Crop factor. Read this (http://digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained). Just remember to multiple 1.5 to any FX lenses if you mount them on your DX cameras. DX lenses have already factored in the crop factor during the lens construction.

Some correction here.. The focal marked on the DX lens is still the physical focal length. So, an 18mm is still marked as 18mm which gives the same angle of view on a DX sized sensor as a 27mm on a 135 format frame or an FX sensor. The only reason why a DX lens is marked as DX is that the image circle is only adequate to cover the DX frame size but not the FX frame size. In terms of focal length, what is marked is the physical focal length which would give the same picture angle for a given frame size as long as the image circle can cover it.

For example, an FX 18mm lens would give the same angle of view as a DX 18mm on a DX frame. The crop factor comes about simply because the DX frame size is smaller compared to the original 135 format film which SLR shooters are very familiar with.

Otherwise, one just needs to think of the DX system as another system. For example, in 6x6 medium format, 80mm is considered as 'normal' lens, in 135 format, the 'normal' lens is 50mm. Similarly, in DX, the 'normal' focal length should be 35mm or thereabouts. In the Four-Thirds system, the normal lens is 25mm.