Famed photographer Domen Lombergar Switches Canon For Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/23601005cp.shtml

"[ClickPress, Thu Dec 14 2006] Famed european photographer Domen Lombergar has made the switch from Canon camera equipment to Nikon camera equipment. The decision was made last week in an effort by the photographer to keep up with the latest technological advancements in digital camera technology. Canon and Nikon have been rivals in the camera industry and although Canon may have a larger percentage of the total market share, this move is just one of the many examples which demonstrate Nikon’s rapidly growing customer base.

"Canon's slower development speeds in the professional DSLR market have been a major factor in my choice to switch the gear for my work," states Lombergar, pointing to Canon's constant rebranding of the same models under new names. Lombergar has been taking photos for many years now and has become one of the most recognized surreal and fantasy photographers. In the past he has always used Canon equipment.

When asked why he made the change he said, “My main concern is always the final image's quality. Most of my fine art prints get blown up to fairly big sizes and it is of utmost importance to me that the camera is not the weakest link in my artwork. Tests under laboratory conditions really don't mean a lot to me. I like to see what the image quality is in the field and in my studio. So far I am only more convinced that my change was the right choice.”

His works, done both with Canon and Nikon equipment are available at his web site at http://www.lombergar.com"

Note that he mentions:

Canon's constant rebranding of the same models under new names.
:rolleyes:

Just wonder, was it a sly marketing ploy by Nikon? Or they gave him free equipment to use to encourage him to switch? :think: Or pay him $$$ to advertise for them? :sticktong

Pure marketing crap. We just want cheaper and quality goods. The brand doesnt matter.

Just wonder, was it a sly marketing ploy by Nikon? Or they gave him free equipment to use to encourage him to switch? :think: Or pay him $$$ to advertise for them? :sticktong

Yeah, could possibly be. Think Canon did the same thing a while ago with some very famous photogs doing the switch (from N to C) with a lot of free equipment etc.

I've checked out a D200... and it's really a wow factor compared to 30D.

If this continues, N might offer something significantly better in the next iteration. :think:

Anyway, I dun tink Canon care that much... they are pretty focused in US market only. And DSLRs and lenses are just a fraction of their income.

I just checked my 30D, it's still as sharp as before I read that article.

mabbe not enuf $$$ to buy a 1DsM2. :think: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

oooooo...must be great $$$ to prompt him to say so much unfriendly stuff about Canon.. maybe he is not turning back for good? keke

My question is, do I care, do we need to care? Most of these photographers, they will want all their equipment sponsored. Well, wonder if this is a sponsored arrangement?

However, looking at his images, no need to use expensive DSLR.

I do agree that Canon's professional range is getting outdated though. But I wouldn't hop boat like this; all the wasted lenses and having to use Nikon's different interface and zoom lens direction.

according to his statement, nikon has more advance tech ??
how come their sensor so noisy? or he likes grain ?
(although i know nothing abt nikon system, just saw some comparison when i read the 20D review. but am i correct to say so ?)

All I could say is Great Photographs Are GREAT regardless of Equipment ;)

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/23601005cp.shtml

When asked why he made the change he said, “My main concern is always the final image's quality. Most of my fine art prints get blown up to fairly big sizes and it is of utmost importance to me that the camera is not the weakest link in my artwork.

The camera is usually not the weakest link. The photographer is.

This is like saying that "I am switching from BMW to Mercedes because I believe Mercedes has leading edge technology that can help me drive better". :)

if he is concerned about blowing up to big image, I believed he made a mistake in choosing the right equipment. He should then go for the medium format:bsmilie:

The camera is usually not the weakest link. The photographer is.

This is like saying that "I am switching from BMW to Mercedes because I believe Mercedes has leading edge technology that can help me drive better". :)

in 99.9% of cases that is true. however, at the very highest levels of human skill, mere differences in equipment can make all the difference. for example, in Formula 1 racing , *very* slight differences in car/tyre/aerodynamics etc make the split-second difference in race lap times. in photography, i am far less convinced that the difference between top of the line pro-equipment from Nikon and Canon is so marked that it makes or breaks an image.

his explanation doesnt cut any ice with me.. even though the top of the range nikon comes close in resolution to 1dsmkII, still falls short. his concern was about blowing up.
i find it quite hard to believe that given similar lenses, how a nikon will outresolve the canon.

*raise hand*

Who is this Domen Lombergar? For a moment, I thought its one of those brands of cars that I'd never heard before. ;p

But still if, this Lombergar chap's switch from Canon to Nikon will impact his style so greatly and revolutionalise a new style of photography that will forever change the landscape of Photos and the Philosophy behind Photography, I don't really see what's up with this brand switch.... :dunno:

Except branding rivary I suppose. ;p

Who is Domen Lombergar? :think:

Domen Lombergar, young slovenian digital creator and artist, produces most of his artworks in only two dimensions. Putting aside some exceptions his computer screen represents his canvas and his tablet represents his brush. Yet not focusing on the used media Domen stays loyal to his expression ... the surrealistic motives often shock the viewer with their rawness and directness and emerge a wish to further explore the work and its message. Domen's refined sense for detail in combination with a high technical expertise lifts his creation on an even higher level. His style can most easily be defined as expressionistic, hyperrealistic or surrealistic. The quality of his art can also be described with numerous positive critiques on both slovenian and foreign websites and by various professional critics. His digital artworks have appeared in many prestigious Internet galleries.

This description gives me doubts that he's even a photographer. He's more of a digital artist. :bsmilie:

Jumping to MF is a more sensible choice :bsmilie: Hassy :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.