FA ltd lens made in japan n vietnam

Originally Posted by pentriot
The SMC Takumar 50mm/1.4 is also a collector's item too.

Oh yeah, that one is like an atomic bomb :bsmilie:

Right, this one made my survey meter click like crazy.:bsmilie:

heard of some russian lenses that contains uranium in the glass they're collector's items too.
If it were Uranium, we will all be in trouble! Older lenses use Thorium oxide (which is slightly radioactive) because it exibits the same properties as expensive fluorite to address chromatic abberration. But nowadays glass design and technology has progressed and we don't need to use it anymore. If you have them, they will turn yellow with use and you need to put it in direct sunlight to change in back to clear. http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Last edited:
I think Fengwei has already given very good opinions on MIJ and AIV.
Its a personal choice, hopefully tempered by logic (scale of 0-100%; choose your own % :D ).

How about MIJ serial <1000 , 1000-15000, and 15000< ?

Even saw some forum stating MIJ serial <1000 may have lead in the glass.

My personal opinion, I doubt the lead was on the lens or coating. Some rare earth elements are known for optical properties, but not Pb. Lead was probably on the soldered parts (eg. circuit board and wiring), and they phased it out for ROHS compliance.

My personal opinion, I doubt the lead was on the lens or coating. Some rare earth elements are known for optical properties, but not Pb. Lead was probably on the soldered parts (eg. circuit board and wiring), and they phased it out for ROHS compliance.

I think it's really in the glass. Lead does change the optical properties significantly. For example, those shiny crystal glass ornaments actually contain Lead oxide.

"The brilliance of lead crystal relies on the high refractive index caused by the lead content. Ordinary glass has a refractive index of n = 1.5, while the addition of lead produces a range up to 1.7.[1] This heightened refractive index also correlates with increased dispersion, which measures the degree to which a medium separates light into its component spectra, as in a prism. This is why high-lead glass is favoured for achromatic lenses." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

Last edited: