F100, worth getting now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbykat

Jun 7, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hey everyone, am thinking of getting the F100, anyone using the camera with complaints? i want to know is the shutter very loud as i will need it to be relatively quiet as i take a lot of shots of animals/wildlife.

so far i've only used and am familiar with the F90x. what are the added features of the F100 compared to the F90x? will i be very happy with the F100 having been a F90x user?

there's 3 2ndhand sets for sale at The Camera Workshop, is it better to get a brand new body and 2nd hand lenses or vice versa? decisions decisions! help me make mine!

thanks! :bsmilie:

I'm not familiar with the F90X but do own the F100, so I can't really give you a comparison. The F100's built like a tank, all options are easily changed and accessible. Nice bright viewfinder, and superbly fast focussing with the CAM1300 module (focussing should be faster and more accurate in lowlight than the F90X). The shutter's a bit loud though, I feel that it's louder than my F75, but don't know how it compares to the F90X.

Check here for a more informed opinion.

I upgraded from a F90x to a F100 without any regrets.

Personally I feel a F90x and a F100 can sound quite obtrusive, though the F100's shutter does sound less obtrusive to my ears. Can't compare to a EOS33/5/100 of course.

The F100 shutter and AF is softer and smoother than the F90x. No regrets going from a F90x to F100, but perhaps you may want to consider a F5 as well.:)

tubbykat said:
hey everyone, am thinking of getting the F100, anyone using the camera with complaints? i want to know is the shutter very loud as i will need it to be relatively quiet as i take a lot of shots of animals/wildlife.

so far i've only used and am familiar with the F90x. what are the added features of the F100 compared to the F90x? will i be very happy with the F100 having been a F90x user?

there's 3 2ndhand sets for sale at The Camera Workshop, is it better to get a brand new body and 2nd hand lenses or vice versa? decisions decisions! help me make mine!

thanks! :bsmilie:

An alternate view here. But YMMV.
I wouldn't trade my F90x for an F100, and perhaps not even the F5.
This is bec I personally find that having to remember multiple custom functions annoying. The F90x w/o the data back has a simple 2 level interface. I just have to press the function key to access the second layer and don't have to remember multiple custom functions nor access multiple menus which can be confusing.

If you are already familiar with and own the F90x, I'd say stick with it. I don't see the justification of paying more than double the cost of an F90x (current value approx $500) for an F100 ($1.2-1.4K) with only marginal increase in performance, features and reliability.

If you really want a change, I'd skip the F100 and go straight to the F5 since their used prices are pretty close. A mint used F100 is approx $1.2-1.4K while a mint used F5 is approx $1.7-1.8K.

On another note, the Nikon AF SLR (apart from the F5) with the quietest shutter and rewind is the F70. And these can be had for about $300. But it's user interface is a real PITA to use.

I have to agree with Tetrode.. I would not trade my F90x for an F100.. there is really not much I want to desire in the F100 that the F90x has.. well except the 5 AF points, and 5 spot metering points based on selected AF point..

despite using a newer focusing cam and also metering.. i would say.. the F90x metering is nothing to laugh about.. in many occassions.. I have found the flash control and metering from the F90x to be much better then the F100's..

One advantage that the F100 will have is the ability to use the new G-lenses in all modes.. and also the new VR features.. which when on the F90x are really well.. you know..a pain in the ass..

and believe it or not.. the only camera today that I would trade my F90x up for.. is the F4..

Frankly if you are a long time F90x user, the interface of the F100 might take some getting used to. However, the F100 is noticeably better in other aspects such as low light AF, AF speed, AF noise, mirror slap and not to mention grip and handling.(The F100 has a much deeper grip better suited for large hands). Flash metering of the F100 is also more consistent and less quirky than the F90x as it no longer requires +1EV compensation for 3D Matrix Fill-flash in low light unlike the F90X which has a tendency to underexpose in such modes.

You may want to go for the F5 if you want better AF torque, Mirror-Lockup and the flexibility of numerous focusing screens and accessories.

thank you for all your comments, i must say i am now even more confused!
i know what you mean about too many features especially those custom features but then again, the F90x is no more in production correct? (if i want to get a new one that is)

when you say the shutter is loud, is it louder than the EOS 1V? ( i tried it last week and yikes, an entire auditorium can hear it)

i do not want to get the F5 simple becoz it's too bulky and heavy for me.

tubbykat said:
there's 3 2ndhand sets for sale at The Camera Workshop,

why don't you just do a walk in and try handling them yourself? features are similar, just a matter of personal preference. Be careful with F90x tho, which is prone to melted rubber back problems in the long run - which can be cleaned off at the shop at a cost. alternatively, if you need low shutter sound, you can try doing manual focusing on F80 (used - about $400 brand new - about $640)
- don't think you will frighten away the animals with that camera.

best of luck!

I guess with the number of excellently maintained 2nd hand equipment around, it is really a bad investment idea to buy new film cameras (unless you have a very different reason to buy). I have not personally used the F90's but as far as the F100 goes, it is a really reliable camera.

I guess there is no reason to be confused by the 'custom' features on the cameras as I have never needed to change them while on a shoot. Most of the times, I set certain features (auto bracketing for instance) before starting on a shoot and keep the feature fixed until the end. So, comparing cameras based on these software features seems silly.

I look for a body that can be reliable while out on a shoot and F100 is a camera that definitely fits the bill (and at a good used price point). As for the shutter noise, I have no idea but I bet there are tons of Wildlife photog's who use F100's and F5's for their shoots. Personally, this is also a silly reason to compare cameras.

These are MHO and hope they help.

F100 feels much better on your hand than F90/F90X. Besides, F100 supports newer generation of lenses and still can use older lens. Perfect! And the weight and size without the vertical grip is quite OK for travelling.

based on the way i used the f100 b4, what i can say is that the f100 is the best film camera that nikon ever made. better than f5.
reasons:
1. red af squares
2.the "best sounding/feeling" shutter i ever used.
3.comparatively clean layout..cleaner than f5 (although eos 1 series layout is cleaner still..hehe! :) )
4.all the "pro grade" qualities etc
5. Af with af-d nikkors is smooth enough already, albeit still less smooth that compared to afs/usm. i used it with af-d nikkor 28-105/3.5-4.5 and af-d nikkor 80-200/2.8 two-touch...tracking wise, the af is decently smooth enough.

the only complain i have about it is the 5 way thumbpad. its like hell for my poor thumb..owweee... :bsmilie:

the quiestest Nikon that I have ever used is F70.

Look at clubsnap's buy sell forum, quite a number of people selling F100 from time to time. If you are lucky, you might be able to get one at around S$1k. Else market price is around S$1.2k.

F90x and F100? I will choose F100 anytime, but if $$$ take into consideration...then different story. Btw, F90x can't use VR, F100 can.

I have a f90x and went straight to a D70 instead. Somehow, I still prefer the manual turning of the aperture ring on the f90x rather than the dial.

Now I think I hv the best of both worlds where I can choose to shoot in film or digital (in fact mostly digital). If you shoot a lot of wildlife, you may also want to consider getting a DSLR ;)

tubbykat said:
thank you for all your comments, i must say i am now even more confused!
i know what you mean about too many features especially those custom features but then again, the F90x is no more in production correct? (if i want to get a new one that is)

when you say the shutter is loud, is it louder than the EOS 1V? ( i tried it last week and yikes, an entire auditorium can hear it)

i do not want to get the F5 simple becoz it's too bulky and heavy for me.

Yes, you probably can't get a brand new F90x now. But mint in box ones come up time to time on Buy and Sell for about $500-650 with the MB-10 vert grip and sometimes the MF-26 Databack. And it doesn't make economic sense buying new when there so many used but mint ones up for sale.

If you are not tethered to the Nikon system yet (and reading yr latest post it looks like you haven't yet committed), I'd recommend looking at the Canon system if you are considering the F100. You'll get all the F100 has to offer in a cheaper body(EOS 30) plus have access to the large EF lens range with goodies like USM and IS. Plus, you can easily make the transition to their Digital SLRs at a later stage(should you choose to do so).

Two caveats for my recommendation for going the Canon route are:
1. You don't mind giving up changing the aperture via the aperture ring.
2. You don't need a manual focus camera as backup which can mount and meter lenses used on your main AF body.

ok got the F100 today!
thanks everyone for your advice. :)
will shoot a roll over the weekend and if any problems occur, i'll be back with questions ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.