F1 volunteering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of which found this under the FAQ section & why are we not being issued with either log book or cert after spending 4 days @ the marina circuit...

I was a volunteer for 2008. Why didn’t I get a Certificate of Appreciation and my log book was not endorsed?

It is a requirement of the Singapore Motor Sports Association that the Certificate of Appreciation and log book will only be endorsed if a Race Official has attended all 4 days of the Event.

KNN, I think something is missing in my envelope lah....where is the magnifying glass that is supposed to come together with the group photo?

I think a lot of people volunteer hoping to get this benefits and that benefits, than when they realise that they do not get what they think they are entitled, they cry foul. When they call for people to volunteer, we have to realise it is to render a service without thinking about returns. Anyway, everyone view it differently so I am not saying if who is right or wrong, but this is the attitude that I took when I decided to volunteer.

We have great fun during this years GP and the whole bunch of us (most of us anyway) are returning, including the overseas volunteers (who pay for their own expenses), who also wants to come back. So far, quite a number of us have already signed up for 2009.

It's their 1st GP so many things are not in place or not done as well as they hope and I'm sure they will improve. I'm sure they don't go out and make your volunteer experience miserable or something go give them a chance.

BTW they are in the process of sending out the accreditation, certificate of appreciation, and a token of appreciation but I believe it is given to only those who attended all 4 days (or 3 days?) of the event. Those who did not will still get the log book that indicated they have attended the trainings but no official stamp. This is what the letter says, or something to that effect since the letter is not in front of me now.

Let's hope for a better 2009!

Oh well, until today, I have yet to receive anything in my mailbox. Emailed the organiser, was told that the mail was returned as she forgot to put in part of the mailing address, and asked me to collect it from SSC instead.

As I won't be in the area any time soon, I've request to have the mail re-sent. No email reply from them neither.

Guys, I got some interesting news for you all.

I have just heard that for the upcoming OCBC bicycle race in singapore, the event organiser is recruiting volunteers, but the huge difference from F1 is that they will be giving all volunteers a $20 allowance, plus they are considering to split the work day into 2 shifts so that the volunteers won't be tired out.

Now, lets compare that with the way SGP treat its F1 volunteers. What a crying shame...

Also, I hope SGP don't cater cai png again for volunteers in 2009...hope they learn their mistake from all the packets of cai png that was cooked very early and went bad and turned sour due to prolong storage under hot sun by the time it was dinnertime. Luckily some of you were smart enough not to eat it...

I hope that SGP will pay an allowance for volunteers in 2009, otherwise I can guarantee that a lot of volunteers will not come back again. All those extremely long hours toiling under the hot sun and heat, wearing those heatstroke inducing overalls is simply not worth it, seriously. It's not like we get to watch the race, in fact if we'd wanted a good view of the race, it would have been better to just stay at home and watch tv. Those who do it before will know what I mean. I hope they implement a shift system for volunteers. Those support races back to back during the day mean that volunteers have to start work early in the day IN ADDITION to the night race, this kind of long hours who can tahan?! Not giving us a token allowance already very bad....KNN, still have to eat cai png that has gone bad for dinner...sibei jialat lah!! This kind of 'chi li bu tao hao' job with long hours and not even a token allowance to cover transport money, how to attract volunteers to come back again, you tell me?!

Given the high level of retrenchments going into 2009 and people losing their jobs and more interested with jobs that PAY, we shall see how they treat volunteers in 2009....akan datang.

with more retrenchment, more volunteer available???? :D

Guys, I got some interesting news for you all.

I have just heard that for the upcoming OCBC bicycle race in singapore, the event organiser is recruiting volunteers, but the huge difference from F1 is that they will be giving all volunteers a $20 allowance, plus they are considering to split the work day into 2 shifts so that the volunteers won't be tired out.

Now, lets compare that with the way SGP treat its F1 volunteers. What a crying shame...

Also, I hope SGP don't cater cai png again for volunteers in 2009...hope they learn their mistake from all the packets of cai png that was cooked very early and went bad and turned sour due to prolong storage under hot sun by the time it was dinnertime. Luckily some of you were smart enough not to eat it...

I hope that SGP will pay an allowance for volunteers in 2009, otherwise I can guarantee that a lot of volunteers will not come back again. All those extremely long hours toiling under the hot sun and heat, wearing those heatstroke inducing overalls is simply not worth it, seriously. It's not like we get to watch the race, in fact if we'd wanted a good view of the race, it would have been better to just stay at home and watch tv. Those who do it before will know what I mean. I hope they implement a shift system for volunteers. Those support races back to back during the day mean that volunteers have to start work early in the day IN ADDITION to the night race, this kind of long hours who can tahan?! Not giving us a token allowance already very bad....KNN, still have to eat cai png that has gone bad for dinner...sibei jialat lah!! This kind of 'chi li bu tao hao' job with long hours and not even a token allowance to cover transport money, how to attract volunteers to come back again, you tell me?!

Given the high level of retrenchments going into 2009 and people losing their jobs and more interested with jobs that PAY, we shall see how they treat volunteers in 2009....akan datang.

i suppose they won't do much since they'll be even more concerned with costs incurred for this yr's GP due to current recession. so you're still joining the 09 season volunteer team??

make use of ITE students.....
....smart, even sign contract to bind ITE & ensure continuous labour force...

2v34ids.jpg

wtf? becoz of them, i wasn't selected for this year's GP... tiew lah

That's why I say they smart...make use of ITE students...

bcos these school kids are young, with impressionable and naive minds, they are also more timid and less vocal about their rights(unlike us who are more mature and know how SGP is really just making use of the volunteers as free labour), they will be more obedient and just do whatever SGP ask them to do. So from here you can see that this contract binding ITE to provide the labour force for the next 4 yrs is really a very shrewd and strategic move on the part of SGP bcos they know that the pioneer batch of volunteers are now wising up on hindsight.

Even paying these ITE students is actually WAAAYYYY CHEAPER than recruiting the labour force like the way they did in 2008. Never mind that they have to pay SALARY, CPF, INSURANCE, MEALS, etc.

But the biggest takeaway from this article is perhaps the realisation now that the so called "Volunteer F1 Marshals" who are gong gong doing it FOC with with ABSOLUTELY NO PAY WHATSOEVER, are the biggest fools of all. Hope they realise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.