www.fotopassion.com
You are Cordially Invited to
Steven Yee Pui Chung's
5th solo photography exhibition

"EYES – Trail to Lost Horizon" Photography Exhibition

Exhibition Dates: 27th May 2005 to 23rd June 2005
Launched on 27th May 2005, 7pm
Venue: Loke Wan Tho Gallery, Selegie Arts Centre level three

When the boss of Visual Hub, Heng, did the lamination and mounting for the exhibition, at first sight, he thought the images were printed from colour slides, given its vibrant colour. Much to his surprise, he was shocked to hear from Steven that the images were actually taken with the digital camera, the Nikon D70.

This exhibition showcases 100 photographs by photographer and photography instructor Steven Yee Pui Chung from his trip to Shangrila, Lijiang, Dali and Kunming in November 2004. 30 pieces of autographed 8R prints will be given on the launch date, whilst stock last.
This exhibition is made possible with the support from
The Photographic Society of Singapore, Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd, Visual Hub @ Sunshine Plaza and PhotoFriend @ Peninsula Plaza.

emailEYES.jpg

ABOUT THE EXHIBITION

In his famous book " Lost Horizon", James Hilton narrated a fictitious tale in which an airplane crash landed near a river bed, in the early 1920s. The surviving passengers came across some Buddhist monks from a nearby temple and sought their help, who took them to a lamasery which was very beautiful and filled with all sorts of fruits. The monks looked quite young although they claimed to be hundreds of years old. The idyllic place was called Shangrila, a Chinese word meaning "Heaven on Earth", a paradise filled with mesmerizing scenery, crystal clear water and people who are ever so friendly.

In search for the Lost Horizon, the photographer Steven Yee went on a trail that brought him to Kunming, Dali, LiJiang and eventually Shangrila from the period 23rd November to 1st December 2004. He was equipped with his trusty Nikon D70 digital SLR which was able to withstand the low weather condition of minus fifteen degree celsius at the snowy Shangrila and churned out more than 25,000 digital images. What resulted is Steven's 5th solo exhibition aptly named "EYES -- Trail to Lost Horizon", showcasing 100 prints painfully shortlisted from the more than 25,000 taken.

congrats Steven, on the launch of your exhibition. will drop by for a look

Will drop by to view your work to get some inspiration.

If I remember correctly, you shoot in jpeg and not raw. Just cannot understand why some beginners want to shoot in raw. :bigeyes:

Received an email from Imation Marketing Singapore

“Storage Solutions for digital photographers” by Imation
in conjunction of
Dates: 17th June 2005, 8.00pm
FREE ADMISSION

Congrats Steven :cheergal:

Steven,

Congratulations on your 5th solo exhibition. Surely, other photographers alike will get useful information, tips and inspiration from your exhibition and the motivation to explore photography further.

Congrats again.

Thanks for dropping by to render your support. Hope you have a pleasant viewing session.

By 7.05pm, the 30 souvenir autographed prints have been distributed.

Snapshot one:
EYES_6109.JPG

Snapshot two:
EYES_6111.JPG

Haha Knight, as promised, I have uploaded this pix.

smallaperture said:
Will drop by to view your work to get some inspiration.

If I remember correctly, you shoot in jpeg and not raw. Just cannot understand why some beginners want to shoot in raw. :bigeyes:

Yup, most of my shots are shot in JPEG as I have my own digital workflow which works well for me so far.

KNIGHT ONG said:
Received an email from Imation Marketing Singapore

“Storage Solutions for digital photographers” by Imation
in conjunction of
Dates: 17th June 2005, 8.00pm
FREE ADMISSION

Congrats Steven :cheergal:

Hi all,

This workshop is FREE. Pls do not miss it.

Hi Steven,

Saw your photos at PSS, I'm impressed. I like the picture of this guy’s silhouette breathing heavily behind a half opened door, with the sunray barely lighting up his face and the vapor from his mouth. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

During your trip in November 2004, I guess the weather must be freezing cold, -15c (IIRC), how do you go about protecting your camera and lenses from the cold weather, esp. when changing lenses outdoor.

Lastly, just curious, do you carry VR lenses and which lenses did you use for such photo assignment? :)

Hi anyone know what time will pss close?
cos i will work till 6 thus reaching at ard 7
:dunno:

hope to ctach steven's good exhibition with my frens
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

smallaperture said:
Umm, wat's the difference between shooting in RAW & in JPEG on dSLR??

limkopi said:
Umm, wat's the difference between shooting in RAW & in JPEG on dSLR??

With RAW, you have more control over the WB and exposure in Nikon Capture.

Limkopi: RAW vs JPEG... Control dude. Its all about gaining control.

With RAW, whatever postprocessing you do in photoshop will not affect the actual image taken. Think film negatives. The shop can do whatever postprocessing to the photos but they can't manipulate your film negatives physically to adjust exposure, color, temperature, etc.

With JPEG, one could also do the same. But unless u make a duplicate of the original JPEG or you are absolutely confident of what you're shooting (ie, 'one-shot-one-kill'), you can't make any changes that wun affect the image directly. And if u happen to make a mistake in ur workflow, save and exit only to open up again to see ur mistake, it is there forever and ever with no hope of restoring the original JPEG (unless u have a duplicate like I'd said).

Smallaperture: Matter of preference. Beginner or not. Shoot RAW or JPEG. Its all up to the photographer. He happy want control in postprocessing, shoot RAW. He think he zai enuff can have full control right up from the start to the end, shoot JPEG. No understanding of others is required. Juz knowing what YOU WANT is important.

saraluna said:
Hi anyone know what time will pss close?
cos i will work till 6 thus reaching at ard 7
:dunno:

hope to ctach steven's good exhibition with my frens
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i think they close at 10pm.

Congrats steven!
Long time no see....too bad I cant join u guys to xin jiang on the 24th of june.
Enjoy ur trip and bring back loads of photos!!!!!!!!

Yes PSS is open on Sundays also. I think they are open from about 1pm to 6pm on the weekends (Sat & Sun). Weekdays will be open from 1pm to 10pm, though sometimes they have to use the gallery area to conduct lessons also ....

Do call them up to check so that you will not be disappointed.

Just got back from Xinjiang. Next Thursday off to Thailand. Pretty hectic schedule.

Hope you enjoy the show so far. I am now planning my next solo soon. :D

jeffhiew said:
Hi Steven,

During your trip in November 2004, I guess the weather must be freezing cold, -15c (IIRC), how do you go about protecting your camera and lenses from the cold weather, esp. when changing lenses outdoor.

Lastly, just curious, do you carry VR lenses and which lenses did you use for such photo assignment? :)

haha, well, I do not own VR lenses. I am pretty traditional. My Lowepro Stealth reporter 300 bag now usually have the following:

(1) D2X
(2) 12-24mm
(3) 50mm f1.8
(4) 10.5mm
(5) 18-70mm (my all time favourite)
(6) 80-200 f2.8 ED
(7) SB600 flash
(8) Image tank

These are enough for me to survive.

For cold places like Shangrila where temp dip to minus 15 degrees, the D70 has no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.