Extracting Files from an Iomega Zip Disk

ziggy

May 24, 2006
East
I am trying to retrieve some photos stored in an old Iomega Zip Disk and I no longer have the drive. A shop in Funan said that they can do this but will need to charge $180, which I think is a bit too high.

Is there another way, or someone else can do this? Otherwise I may have to seriously consider the $180 opetion.

Many thanks.

Do you know if your data is still accessible, and whether they'll charge you if your disk turns out to be unreadable? Only bringing this up because I remember most (if not all) of my zip disks ran into the dreaded http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_of_death issue, and became corrupted and unreadable.

Last edited:
Like kandinsky said, check if the zip disk is still readable... (considering the number of years, I would say that it's likely dead, even if not dead, the fungus would have killed the data)

My zip disks (all 20 of them) died due to the clicking shyt about 1 year after usage. After all of it died, thumbdrives started appearing in the market...

Thanks guys. Most helpful.

There's no way to know if it's working or not. The guy who wanted $180 says that they will charge only if they can extract the data. So it's either free or $180. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks again.

$180 just to read your zip disk and copy the data. Daylight robbery.