External Flash Connector Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefly

Dec 16, 2004
North East Line
Lost the cover on my E3 during a recent trip to Ko Samui. Anybody replaced his/hers before? What is the price like? I did sms Keith of Olympus but didn't get a reply. Wondering if I should replace it. Not so much for asthetic reason but more concerned about the weather proofing part.

Happy New Year.

You can get one from the Service Centre for less than $10. No major issue. But I feel it is too expensive to pay for that little piece of plastic. I don't use it anymore...

If it was the PC connector I'd say replace it so nothing plugs up the hole, but for the hotshoe connector don't bother...just make sure the contacts are clean before you use the flash.

In fact, if you use the E-3 in moisture the cover may do more bad than good as it may actually TRAP moisture between it and the shoe contacts.

Lost the cover on my E3 during a recent trip to Ko Samui. Anybody replaced his/hers before? What is the price like? I did sms Keith of Olympus but didn't get a reply. Wondering if I should replace it. Not so much for asthetic reason but more concerned about the weather proofing part.

Happy New Year.

NO NEED!!!

Cover for what??

3137311650_37860d114f_b.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Mike, it is not the PC Connector or the Hot-shoe. I have included a link of a diagram of the E3 front view. The connector is boxed in red at the top right hand corner.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10824615@N04/3136495937/

Since it is for connecting to external flash, there should be electronic circuits connected to it? I am concerned that if ever I need to use the camera in rain or at risk of being splashed, whether the water getting to the connector could cause the camera to malfunction. I admit, I'm not the bold type who would bathe my E3, but for me 1 of the reason for getting this camera is its weather sealed capability.

Last edited:
I think it is $8 or something. Keep the connector clean and very very lightly oiled to prevent corrosion in this humid weather. Periodically open your connectors to check for corrosion... Tropical weather is very unfriendly to metals.

Mike, it is not the PC Connector or the Hot-shoe.

Actually, that round flash connector on the front of the camera IS the PC connector...that's not PC as in Personal Computer, but as in Prontor-Compur socket.

PC sockets on cameras go back before personal computers even existed!

Some people call it the "Pin-Circle" connector since it's a pin surrounded by a circle, or "Poor-Connection" as the cable is always coming loose from it and the connector on the cable needs squeezing to make it tight again. But the term is definitely PC connector (as opposed to the USB connector which is the personal computer connector).

Mike, thanks for the explanation. :embrass::embrass::embrass: No wonder I could not find a "PC" connector on the diagram. Micro is right, $8 for that little bit of plastic IS expensive, but don't seem to be much choice. :hung:

Oops, didn't see WRX's reply before I hit submit. $6.80 is bearable. $1.20 pay for car park.

Last edited:
it is expensive,but imo,not a need,all my cameras don't have them cause they keep falling off,lol

it is expensive,but imo,not a need,all my cameras don't have them cause they keep falling off,lol

Well, if you're talking about the flat plastic protector for the hotshoe I agree with you...BUT if you're talking about the round (Prontor-Compur) flash connector that's found only on the E-1/E-3 I would disagree with your comment...while in the past this connector was never covered, as the E-1/3 is an all-weather camera I would replace this cover to keep moisture out of the camera (or at least out of the socket).

It's too bad Olympus did it on the cheap unlike some other manufacturers who put their PC and remote sockets behind a rubber door which is permanently attached to the camera!

Ahhh.....that round connector. Have dropped them before. Just get it replaced at the service center. Real cheap. Screw them down tight the next time round or use a gaffer to secure it.

Happy New Year.

Keith is no longer with Olympus, that's probably why there is no response... just fyi

Good luck with replacing your missing part.

Last edited:
Ahhh.....that round connector. Have dropped them before. Just get it replaced at the service center. Real cheap. Screw them down tight the next time round or use a gaffer to secure it.

any pics of using a gaffer to cover the parts to prevent it from falling? seems little strange to have a gaffer over the body.

Keith is no longer with Olympus, that's probably why there is no response... just fyi

Good luck with replacing your missing part.

Hi Benares, thanks for the info. Didn't know Keith left Olympus. That's too bad. He is really a nice guy and helpful. No wonder E Club so quiet now. Hopefully the next person to take over can keep it going strong for the sake of the Olympus faithfuls.

Well, if you're talking about the flat plastic protector for the hotshoe I agree with you...BUT if you're talking about the round (Prontor-Compur) flash connector that's found only on the E-1/E-3 I would disagree with your comment...while in the past this connector was never covered, as the E-1/3 is an all-weather camera I would replace this cover to keep moisture out of the camera (or at least out of the socket).

It's too bad Olympus did it on the cheap unlike some other manufacturers who put their PC and remote sockets behind a rubber door which is permanently attached to the camera!

yea mike,the flat plastic for the hotshoe,i know without those round one,first moisture to get into those socket and goodbye camera :bsmilie:

Replaced the PC Cover. Cost S$5.00 plus 35 cts for GST. Brought my E3 along because dust visible in VF but does not show up on photo or Live View. The Technician cleared the dust off the focus screen, FoC. No question asked about warranty. Thanks Oylmpus.

Replaced the PC Cover. Cost S$5.00 plus 35 cts for GST. Brought my E3 along because dust visible in VF but does not show up on photo or Live View. The Technician cleared the dust off the focus screen, FoC. No question asked about warranty. Thanks Oylmpus.

Good for you! :thumbsup:
Thankfully they didn't charge you for labour cost :sweatsm: (which can be quite costly :sweat:)

Good for you! :thumbsup:
Thankfully they didn't charge you for labour cost :sweatsm: (which can be quite costly :sweat:)

Gosh if they ever do that... :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.