External Battery Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgboy83

Sep 21, 2008
I am intending to get a external battery pack for my SB900 flash. is it recommended to get the original nikon one or can I get a third party one? Will third party one spoilt the flash?

Hi Bro, you can try Quantum batt. QB1+ or 2x2 for you SB900.www.qtm.com

Hi Bro, you can try Quantum batt. QB1+ or 2x2 for you SB900.www.qtm.com

I'm using the Quantum Turbo Silm & Compact for my SB800 & 900 it works fine but it cost me $900 for that:cry:

I'm not going for such expensive one.

Just bought 1 CD 2x2 (eastgear) 3 week ago from OP,work perfectly with
my Sb900.cost me $580 complete set,check with then for stock cos my is
the last pc from there.

Just bought 1 CD 2x2 (eastgear) 3 week ago from OP,work perfectly with
my Sb900.cost me $580 complete set,check with then for stock cos my is
the last pc from there.

care to share how many shots can u manage?
qtm 2x2 is about 700shots with 1s refresh but double the price

few week back i check with eastgear, new products coming out soon

I am intending to get a external battery pack for my SB900 flash. is it recommended to get the original nikon one or can I get a third party one? Will third party one spoilt the flash?

Actually is not so expensive in the long run for its performance.

Before that, what makes think that you need to get a external battery for???
-To use once in a while?
-To use for "personal" interests event (fashion shoot or portrait, etc...)
-To do part/full time wedding coverage
-To do certain paid shoots

If you fall in the 1st two points, then you can get the original external battery pack, since is not so critical to you. However for the 2nd point only, you ask yourself how often you shoot?
For the last 2 points, you'll be better off when you get 3rd party external battery packs as they give you enough juices for what you need to capture during the event happening fast.

***they maybe still other points to take note which i may not listed down, so do your homework.

Original battery pack SD8A/SD9A new one will cost $220(SD8A) the SD9A will cost even more, which i don't know what's the current price. Inaddition you have to add in additional AA size batteries. (SD8A uses 6 and SD9A uses 8, in certain events you will need 2~2 set of the batteries) And also not forgetting the charger to charge all the set of batteries eg. 8+8+4=20 if you want it fast then is not going to be cheap. So total cost will add up to $3++.

For 3rd party external battery pack, eg (eastgear CD 2X2) cost around $600. You can have 60%~70% better performance and never miss the moments if you use it wisely so that you'll not burn your flash. As the CD 2X2 give you more then enough juices to fire rapidly, you must take note the number of flashes you fire (flash tolerance, check your manual) or else you will need to sent your flash for repair. The battery pack will last you for 1~2 year depending on usage and if you have paid assignment from the start, by the time your battery went dead you would have cover your battery pack and the replacement cost (not the whole set, just change the battery).

Last edited:
Actually is not so expensive in the long run for its performance.

Before that, what makes think that you need to get a external battery for???
-To use once in a while?
-To use for "personal" interests event (fashion shoot or portrait, etc...)
-To do part/full time wedding coverage
-To do certain paid shoots

If you fall in the 1st two points, then you can get the original external battery pack, since is not so critical to you. However for the 2nd point only, you ask yourself how often you shoot?
For the last 2 points, you'll be better off when you get 3rd party external battery packs as they give you enough juices for what you need to capture during the event happening fast.

***they maybe still other points to take note which i may not listed down, so do your homework.

Original battery pack SD8A/SD9A new one will cost $220(SD8A) the SD9A will cost even more, which i don't know what's the current price. Inaddition you have to add in additional AA size batteries. (SD8A uses 6 and SD9A uses 8, in certain events you will need 2~2 set of the batteries) And also not forgetting the charger to charge all the set of batteries eg. 8+8+4=20 if you want it fast then is not going to be cheap. So total cost will add up to $3++.

For 3rd party external battery pack, eg (eastgear CD 2X2) cost around $600. You can have 60%~70% better performance and never miss the moments if you use it wisely so that you'll not burn your flash. As the CD 2X2 give you more then enough juices to fire rapidly, you must take note the number of flashes you fire (flash tolerance, check your manual) or else you will need to sent your flash for repair. The battery pack will last you for 1~2 year depending on usage and if you have paid assignment from the start, by the time your battery went dead you would have cover your battery pack and the replacement cost (not the whole set, just change the battery).
very details explanation. :thumbsup:

for those people considering using SD8A/SD9A, do consider you have to charge more than 20 pieces of AA batteries at one go, you will need a few chargers, or else you will take whole day to finish charging all the batteries, and also don't forget if one of the batteries is faulty, it will affect the performance of the whole set, and the worst thing is you don't know which one is the bad battery.

very details explanation. :thumbsup:

for those people considering using SD8A/SD9A, do consider you have to charge more than 20 pieces of AA batteries at one go, you will need a few chargers, or else you will take whole day to finish charging all the batteries, and also don't forget if one of the batteries is faulty, it will affect the performance of the whole set, and the worst thing is you don't know which one is the bad battery.
Thanks... ;)

Sometimes got the mood to write so, will explain abit more.

**OT** letting go my D200... :cry: feeling sad

Even though we have very good ext. batt pack, will the flash get overheated with lots of rapid shots?

using AA ni-mh eneloop according to the specs, SD-9 min recycling time is 0.8sec 520 flashes!

use quantum turbo.no doubts about it.

the recharge rate, the amount of dazzling full power flashes it delivers...
you wouldnt want to look at anything else.

downside:it's bigger than the nikon's SD-dunno-what external batt pack.

when i covered my friend's wedding for fun, i actually managed to shoot her handshaking with every single guest when the banquet ends.(60 tables)

this was my best gift to her as her official photographer didnt cover much of the handshake/hug shots.

care to share how many shots can u manage?
qtm 2x2 is about 700shots with 1s refresh but double the price

few week back i check with eastgear, new products coming out soon

Hi, i had not try the full performance yet but according to reseach is 1200 shots in full
charge,i try in 2 event total shots around 400 but the batt indicator just drop by step only.

If the TS wants something cheap and reasonably good, SD-8A/SD-9 is the way to go, just $200+ for a battery pack. :) Gives good performance @ a friendly price.

But for ultimate performance, bigger and more powerful NiMH/Lithium battery packs is the way to go.

I personally have used SD-8A on my SB-800 before I moved to Quantum 2x2, have never looked back because Q 2x2 beat the crap out of SD-8A (faster flash recharge time, more flash output per charge, more consistant power output, etc etc), , but of course, so is the price, closing in up to 5x of SD-8a. :bsmilie:

And since our rare guest have spoken, I would reckon SD-9 would be a good buy for TS, good price/performance. But do take note of jnet6's advise on the batts. :)

use quantum turbo.no doubts about it.

the recharge rate, the amount of dazzling full power flashes it delivers...
you wouldnt want to look at anything else.

downside:it's bigger than the nikon's SD-dunno-what external batt pack.

when i covered my friend's wedding for fun, i actually managed to shoot her handshaking with every single guest when the banquet ends.(60 tables)

this was my best gift to her as her official photographer didnt cover much of the handshake/hug shots.

Nowadays the photographers don't carry Metz hammerheads anymore.. Sigh.. When I was shooting film, each guest I could even fire 2 shots without worrying about the flash... And that's ISO100 film, aperture around f/5.6. But of course, I didn't shoot every guest, otherwise will exceed the number of rolls. ;p

Last edited:
Nowadays the photographers don't carry Metz hammerheads anymore.. Sigh.. When I was shooting film, each guest I could even fire 2 shots without worrying about the flash... And that's ISO100 film, aperture around f/5.6. But of course, I didn't shoot every guest, otherwise will exceed the number of rolls. ;p

Not that don't carry, cuz don't know how to use manual flash anymore!!! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.