External 3.5" HDD Case


Status
Not open for further replies.

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#1
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a external 3.5"HDD case (USB2.0 or Combo). Get a 7200rpm HDD. Use it as a backup storage. Looking for metal case for better heat management.
NOTE: Not looking for portable storage cum card reader, cos I already have a Compact-drive PD6X.

Any recommendation?
Thanks!
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#4
the casing alone should cost anywhere between $50 and $100.

The HDD inside can be bought seperately. Things to look out for when buying the casing is the heat dissipation capability. Erm.. simply how cool it can keep the HDD.

I personally use a 2.5inch HDD casing.
Because it's portable, no ext power supply needed and heat isn't as big an issue, and it can withstand higher impacts than 3.5inch.

But the max size (storage size) of the 2.5 aren't anywhere near the 3.5's. and the cost of the HDs are higher.

There you have it. Pros and cons.

After reading my own post. I think I haven't replied evq. hahah :bsmilie:

:blah:
 

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#5
yanyewkay said:
the casing alone should cost anywhere between $50 and $100.

The HDD inside can be bought seperately. Things to look out for when buying the casing is the heat dissipation capability. Erm.. simply how cool it can keep the HDD.

I personally use a 2.5inch HDD casing.
Because it's portable, no ext power supply needed and heat isn't as big an issue, and it can withstand higher impacts than 3.5inch.

But the max size (storage size) of the 2.5 aren't anywhere near the 3.5's. and the cost of the HDs are higher.

There you have it. Pros and cons.

After reading my own post. I think I haven't replied evq. hahah :bsmilie:

:blah:
hahaha, it's ok.
I prefer a 3.5" cos I'm looking at 120-160Gb HDD for files backup. More for home use, so size is not an issue.
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
#6
I am looking at getting a 3.5" external HDD setup also.

For the casing I am initially considering this:
http://www.xpcgear.com/caseue705blk.html

Since you brought up the issue of heat dissipation I think I will go for the aluminum model, which is smaller and costs only a few dollars more:
http://www.xpcgear.com/vtxuens35.html

For the harddisk, I am considering Seagate Baracuda ST3200822A-RK 200GB. Frys is running a special price for this drive at US$119, and with the US$50 rebate the final price is only US$69.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008252

I read some review on Amazon that complained about the noise of this drive. Has anyone got any experience? I am not too concerned as it is for backup of my documents (mainly photos) so it will not be on all the time. However, I would like to know how bad is the noise problem, just in case...

Thanks!

Roy
 

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#7
roygoh said:
I am looking at getting a 3.5" external HDD setup also.

For the casing I am initially considering this:
http://www.xpcgear.com/caseue705blk.html

Since you brought up the issue of heat dissipation I think I will go for the aluminum model, which is smaller and costs only a few dollars more:
http://www.xpcgear.com/vtxuens35.html

For the harddisk, I am considering Seagate Baracuda ST3200822A-RK 200GB. Frys is running a special price for this drive at US$119, and with the US$50 rebate the final price is only US$69.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008252

I read some review on Amazon that complained about the noise of this drive. Has anyone got any experience? I am not too concerned as it is for backup of my documents (mainly photos) so it will not be on all the time. However, I would like to know how bad is the noise problem, just in case...

Thanks!

Roy
Thanks Roy!
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#8
roygoh said:
I am looking at getting a 3.5" external HDD setup also.

For the casing I am initially considering this:
http://www.xpcgear.com/caseue705blk.html

Since you brought up the issue of heat dissipation I think I will go for the aluminum model, which is smaller and costs only a few dollars more:
http://www.xpcgear.com/vtxuens35.html

For the harddisk, I am considering Seagate Baracuda ST3200822A-RK 200GB. Frys is running a special price for this drive at US$119, and with the US$50 rebate the final price is only US$69.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008252

I read some review on Amazon that complained about the noise of this drive. Has anyone got any experience? I am not too concerned as it is for backup of my documents (mainly photos) so it will not be on all the time. However, I would like to know how bad is the noise problem, just in case...

Thanks!

Roy
Hi Roy,

The latest range of Seagate Barracuda IV offering 'softsonic' or 'sound barrier technology' is a lot quieter than it's previous disks.

from a web site
"...According to Seagate, the 40GB (single platter) 'Cuda IV emits 20 dB while spinning at 7200 RPM, and 24 dB while seeking (with acoustic management enabled, which will slow it down slightly). Since the human ear cannot really distinguish any sound below 25 dB from ambient noise in all but the most silent scenarios..."
so if you're gonna use a 3.5inch HD outside your desktop and somewhere near you. I suggest getting that silent HD. A constant HD spinning irritates me quite a bit.
 

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#10
I believe these are from oversea. I'm looking cases that can be found locally. Maybe i can check out during Sitex. Any other recommendations? :)
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
#11
yanyewkay said:
Hi Roy,

The latest range of Seagate Barracuda IV offering 'softsonic' or 'sound barrier technology' is a lot quieter than it's previous disks.

so if you're gonna use a 3.5inch HD outside your desktop and somewhere near you. I suggest getting that silent HD. A constant HD spinning irritates me quite a bit.
Hi Yan,

Thanks for the tip. Too bad I already ordered the hard disk from outpost.com.

Seems like the prices in Singapore is still a lot better than in US. Over here aluminum casings go for at least US$30.

- Roy
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#13
evq said:
I believe these are from oversea. I'm looking cases that can be found locally. Maybe i can check out during Sitex. Any other recommendations? :)
The guy is based in Singapore. He has a shop near Bugis Junction. Quite convenient to meet up. He offers warranty too for his products.
 

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#15
mpenza said:
The guy is based in Singapore. He has a shop near Bugis Junction. Quite convenient to meet up. He offers warranty too for his products.
Thanks mpenza. btw, do u have the address or website?
 

Snowcrash

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,537
0
0
Western SG
Visit site
#17
evq said:
Look impressive, how much did u pay for it? Which verions, USB or combo? Which shop?
download the pricelist for the hardwareplace sim lim 6th floor. Mine is the usb2 version. cost less than $100.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#18
oh yah.. very important to get a usb2.0 or firewire version. Else if you're gonna back up like 2 gb of files.. it's gonna take ages on USB1.1.. :sweatsm: :sweat:
 

roygoh

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
5,011
0
0
Northwest
Visit site
#19
yanyewkay said:
oh yah.. very important to get a usb2.0 or firewire version. Else if you're gonna back up like 2 gb of files.. it's gonna take ages on USB1.1.. :sweatsm: :sweat:

I don't think you can even find an eclosure that has only USB full-speed now, unless maybe in Sungei road :p . It is probably more important to make sure you have USB 2.0 ports on your PC.
 

evq

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
546
0
0
44
The 13th floor
#20
One question on Firewire, is it also plug & play like USB2.0? I never use 1394 before. Any driver needed for Win XP? Cos Firewire is faster than USB2.0. i may get a Combo.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom